Facebook Drives 20x As Much Traffic As Twitter Does
Facebook's significance as a traffic source for online publishers cannot be overstated. According to a new report by Shareaholic, who analysed the traffic composition of more than 200,000 websites around the globe between June 2013 and June 2014, the world's largest social network now drives almost a quarter of the overall traffic to these websites. But not only is Facebook by far the most important source of social referrals, it is also the fastest-growing one. In June 2014, Facebook referrals accounted for 23.4% of traffic to the sampled websites. That's an increase of more than 150% compared to June 2013, when Facebook drove less than 10% of traffic.
Twitter's role as a traffic source pales when compared to its larger rival Facebook. The share of traffic driven by Twitter referrals has fluctuated around 1% for the past year and does not make any signs of changing in either direction. Aside from the obvious difference in size, Shareaholic attributes Twitter's comparably minor role in traffic generation to a couple of reasons: one being the assumption that the Twitter feed is less personal than Facebook's news feed is, and that links posted in Tweets are therefore less relevant to users. Another one being the idea that brands tend to use Twitter as a brand building tool, rather than a means for traffic acquisition.
- U.S. Facebook and Twitter user development 2014-2020U.S. Facebook and Twitter user development 2014-2020
- Facebook: global social media referral traffic share 2012-2014Facebook: global social media referral traffic share 2012-2014
- Facebook mobile: global social media referral traffic share 2013-2014Facebook mobile: global social media referral traffic share 2013-2014
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2017Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2017
- Top 15 most frequently visited websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently visited websites in Sweden 2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl