Facebook's Growth Is Entirely Fueled by Mobile Ads
Facebook's strong mobile advertising business helped the social network to beat expectations on both the top and the bottom line in its third quarter earnings report. Revenue climbed 41 percent to $4.5 billion as net income grew by 11 percent to reach $896 million. The profit increase could have been even bigger, had Facebook not doubled its R&D expenditure compared to last year's third quarter.
When Facebook started selling mobile advertising in 2012, not even the keenest optimists could have predicted how successful this decision would turn out. In each of the past eleven quarters, mobile ads have accounted for more then 90% of Facebook's revenue growth. In the first nine months of 2015, all of the company's growth came from advertising on tablets and smartphones. Mobile ad revenue now accounts for 78 percent of Facebook's advertising revenue and 74 percent of total revenue.
Considering the fact that Facebook has 894 million mobile users on an average day, it is no surprise that its mobile advertising efforts are successful. The pace at which mobile ads have become the single driver of the company's growth is noteworthy though.
- Facebook: worldwide quarterly revenue 2010-2016, by segmentFacebook: worldwide quarterly revenue 2010-2016, by segment
- Facebook: worldwide quarterly revenue 2011-2016Facebook: worldwide quarterly revenue 2011-2016
- Facebook: annual revenue 2009-2015, by segmentFacebook: annual revenue 2009-2015, by segment
- Sinterklaas online shopping revenue in the Netherlands 2015-2016Sinterklaas online shopping revenue in the Netherlands 2015-2016
- Sinterklaas extra online shopping revenue in the Netherlands 2014-2016Sinterklaas extra online shopping revenue in the Netherlands 2014-2016
- Top 10 biotech and pharmaceutical companies based on market value 2016Top 10 biotech and pharmaceutical companies based on market value 2016
- 2016 list of global top 10 biotech and pharmaceutical companies based on revenue2016 list of global top 10 biotech and pharmaceutical companies based on revenue
- 2016 list of global top 10 biotech and pharmaceutical companies based on net income2016 list of global top 10 biotech and pharmaceutical companies based on net income
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl