America's Most Prestigious Professions
According to The Harris Poll, doctors, military officers and firefighters are seen as the most prestigious professions in the United States, despite the fact that most adults would encourage their kids to pursue a career in engineering. Doctors are first in the prestige league - 88 percent of American adults believe the profession has either "a great deal of prestige" or "prestige" in general.
Military officers are also held in high regard across the United States, with 78 percent of people finding the profession prestigious. Firefighters complete the top three with 76 percent finding the job prestigious. What about engineering, the career most people want their children to pursue? It comes sixth in the prestige stakes, with 69 percent, ahead of police offers, priests, architects and teachers.
- Leading consulting firms in the U.S. in 2016, by prestige ratingLeading consulting firms in the U.S. in 2016, by prestige rating
- Lowest paid jobs in the U.S. in 2013 Lowest paid jobs in the U.S. in 2013
- Selected jobs in India - average annual salary 2015-16Selected jobs in India - average annual salary 2015-16
- Full-time employees - unadjusted monthly number in the U.S. January 2017Full-time employees - unadjusted monthly number in the U.S. January 2017
- Platinum-group metal reserves worldwide by country 2016Platinum-group metal reserves worldwide by country 2016
- Unemployment rate of the United Kingdom 2000-2016Unemployment rate of the United Kingdom 2000-2016
- USA - employment rate 1990-2016USA - employment rate 1990-2016
- Unemployment rate in EU countries October 2016Unemployment rate in EU countries October 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl