Instagram - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Instagram
Instagram is a photo-sharing social networking service that enables users to take pictures and edit them with a selection of digital filters. As of June 2013, Instagram also started to offer video sharing. The service was initially released as an iOS app but is now also available for other mobile systems as well as online.
As of September 2015, the social network reported more than 400 million monthly active users worldwide. The current Instagram penetration rate among internet users in the United States is 28 percent with the number of Instagram users in the United States projected to surpass 106 million users in 2018.
Overall, Instagram benefits from a strong social integration as users are easily able to share their content to a variety of social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Tumblr. Overall, Instagram is one of the most popular mobile social apps worldwide with the majority of user engagement occurring via mobile app.
Many users follow celebrities on Instagram to gain a glimpse into their glamorous lives, following a similar usage pattern to microblogging service Twitter. The most-followed celebrities on Instagram include Taylor Swift, Kim Kardashian and Beyonce. The possibilities of online self-expression and the display of wealth through photographs are attractive features of the visual medium and lend themselves to celebrity endorsements of products and services.
Instagram also shows big potential in the area of social media marketing and social commerce. The Instagram adoption curve of leaving brand shows that 65 percent of leading brands already have an active account but only 19 percent of those brands have more than 100,000 followers. Due to the strong visual impact of their content, luxury and fashion brands have taken well to the social network.
|Projected number of U.S. Instagram users by 2020||95.1||Details →|
|Instagram penetration rate in the U.S.||24.2%||Details →|
|Price of Instagram acquisition through Facebook||$1,001m||Details →|
|Reach of Instagram app||21%||Details →|
|Mobile only visitors to Instagram in the U.S.||40m||Details →|
|Usage & Demographics||Values||Statistic|
|Share of U.S. cellphone users who use Instagram several times a day||24%||Details →|
|Daily engagement rate of Instagram among Android users||41%||Details →|
|Share of Instagram traffic from the U.S.||19.22%||Details →|
|Advertising & Marketing||Values||Statistic|
|Nike's Instagram followers||64.9 million||Details →|
|Glamour Brazil Instagram posts||15,200||Details →|
|Vine's share of Instagram upstream traffic||3.41%||Details →|
- Instagram: number of monthly active users 2013-2016Instagram: number of monthly active users 2013-2016
Number of monthly active Instagram users from January 2013 to December 2016 (in millions)
- Instagram: upstream traffic of most popular retailers 2013Instagram: upstream traffic of most popular retailers 2013
Most popular retailers ranked by Instagram upstream traffic as of August 2013
- Instagram: number of users in the United States 2015-2020+Instagram: number of users in the United States 2015-2020
Number of Instagram users in the United States from 2015 to 2020 (in millions)
- Average U.S. teen Instagram follower count 2015Average U.S. teen Instagram follower count 2015
Average number of Instagram followers of teenage users in the United States as of March 2015
- Page visits: internet users who visited Instagram within the last month (USA), 2015+Page visits: internet users who visited Instagram within the last month (USA), 2015
Page visits: Number of internet users who visited Instagram within the last month in the United States (USA) from autumn 2014 to spring 2015 (in millions)
- Instagram: most-followed fashion brands 2016Instagram: most-followed fashion brands 2016
Leading fashion brands ranked by number of Instagram followers as of October 2016 (in millions)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016