America's Growing Smartphone Addiction
Ever since the first iPhone arrived in 2007, smartphones have gradually taken over our lives. We use them to listen to music, take photos, follow the news and sometimes even to make phone calls. They have become a constant presence in both our professional and our personal lives.
According to a recent Gallup report, 81 percent of American smartphone owners keep their device with them nearly all the time and they don’t just carry it around. 72 percent of the respondents claim to check their smartphone at least once an hour, most of them several times. Especially young Americans can hardly keep their eyes away from their phone screen. 22 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds glimpse at their phone every few minutes and another 51 percent do so several times an hour.
Interestingly, most smartphone users don’t seem to consider their device usage excessive. 61 percent of the respondents claim to use their own device less frequently than the people around them - a misperception that is not entirely unlike addict behavior.
- Smartphone usage in China in 2011, by activitySmartphone usage in China in 2011, by activity
- Smartphone usage among children and teenagers in Germany 2014, by age groupSmartphone usage among children and teenagers in Germany 2014, by age group
- U.S. Millennials' smartphone usage share for in-store grocery shopping by type 2012U.S. Millennials' smartphone usage share for in-store grocery shopping by type 2012
- U.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by monthU.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by month
- Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017
- Media reach in the U.S. 2016Media reach in the U.S. 2016
- Smartphone users worldwide 2014-2020Smartphone users worldwide 2014-2020
- Forecast of the smartphone user penetration rate in the UK 2014-2021Forecast of the smartphone user penetration rate in the UK 2014-2021
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl