The Countries With The Most STEM Graduates
China has experienced a revolution in third level education since the turn of the century. By 2016, it was building the equivalent of nearly one university every week and in terms of graduate numbers, it has surpassed both Europe and the United States. Historically the U.S. dominated the world's graduate population but in recent years, that population has shifted amid steady academic progress in Asia.
Last year, India was the global leader in university graduates (78.0 million), slightly ahead of China (77.7 million). The U.S. was in third place (67.4 million) and the gap behind the top two is widening. According to some estimates, the number of Chinese graduates aged 25 to 34 will rise 300 percent by 2030 compared to just 30 percent in the U.S. and Europe. STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) has become a pretty big deal in China's flourishing universities.
In 2013, 40 percent of Chinese graduates completed a degree in a STEM subject, more than twice the share in American third level institutions. Workers with STEM qualifications have become increasingly important to global prosperity and unsurprisingly, China is leading the way. The World Economic Forum reported that China had 4.7 million new STEM graduates in 2016 while India had 2.6 million. The United States had 568,000 recent STEM graduates in 2016.
- Unemployment rate among college graduates in China by degree course 2010Unemployment rate among college graduates in China by degree course 2010
- Average wages of U.S. college graduates, 1990 to 2016Average wages of U.S. college graduates, 1990 to 2016
- U.S. metro areas with the highest percentage of college graduates 2014U.S. metro areas with the highest percentage of college graduates 2014
- Vehicle sales in China 2008-2017Vehicle sales in China 2008-2017
- Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017
- Yield on ten-year government bonds of selected countries 2017Yield on ten-year government bonds of selected countries 2017
- World pharmaceutical sales 2014-2016 by region World pharmaceutical sales 2014-2016 by region
- China: weekly box office revenue - February 27 to March 5, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - February 27 to March 5, 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl