Premium
Premium statistics

Industry-specific and extensively researched technical data (partially from exclusive partnerships).

A paid subscription is required for full access.

Leading property and casualty insurance companies in the Netherlands 2018, by revenue

Leading property and casualty insurance companies in the Netherlands as of 2018, by revenue in gross written premiums (in million euros)*

by Raynor de Best, last edited Sep 13, 2019
Leading property and casualty insurance companies in the Netherlands 2018, by revenue In 2018, Achmea Schade, the "damage" branch of insurance provider Achmea, was the biggest insurance company in the property and casualty sector in the Netherlands. Note that the Netherlands does not have something that exactly matches "property and casualty insurance" as in the United States. In Europe, this insurance type is known as non-life insurance. This ranking specifically looks at the "Damage", or Schade, sector, a part of non-life insurance in the Netherlands which includes different sub-segments. This includes, for example, insurances that cover belongings (like a car, in case of an accident or theft), home contents (i.e. furniture damaged in a fire), property (i.e. the house itself in a fire) but also pet insurance, travel insurance or insurances for legal support. In the Netherlands, all these insurances are purchased separately. This might explain why there were over 150 insurance companies in the Netherlands in 2017.

If this ranking is about non-life insurance, then where are the numbers on health insurance?

A noticeable absentee in this ranking is health insurance. This exclusion was a deliberate choice from the source. In 2019, health insurance concern Achmea had the highest market share whereas companyZilveren Kruis had the highest revenue in 2018. As the Health segment plays a major role in the Dutch insurance system, it is often mentioned separately from "property and casualty insurance". This has to do with size. The Dutch government decides annually on the content of the (mandatory) health insurance and companies have to offer this through free market competition. Effectively, health insurance is the Netherlands’ biggest insurance type (as it is mandatory for all residents, regardless of age or medical history). The country has 11 big health care concerns which each own multiple companies. These companies can own multiple brands. In 2019, there were 39 health insurance brands which all offered different types of insurance policies for various prices.

How big is the insurance market in the Netherlands?

In 2017, the Netherlands had an insurance penetration (insurance premiums as a percentage of GDP) of roughly ten percent. Roughly 20 percent of all gross premiums that year came from the life segment (meaning the other 80 percent came from the property and casualty/non-life segment), a percentage that was significantly lower than those in Belgium and Luxembourg. It is possible that the Netherlands’ market-based health insurance system is responsible for this.
Show more

Leading property and casualty insurance companies in the Netherlands as of 2018, by revenue in gross written premiums (in million euros)*

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $588 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account!

Premium Account
Your perfect start with Statista
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references

$49 / Month *

Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* All products require an annual contract.
   Prices do not include sales tax.
Leading companies trust Statista:
paypalgoogleadobepgsamsungtelekom
Related Studies: Available to Download in PDF or PPTX Format
Insurance in the Netherlands
Insurance in the Netherlands

All Information
in one Presentation

Insurance in the Netherlands

Everything On "Insurance in the Netherlands" in One Document: Edited and Divided into Handy Chapters. Including Detailed References.

Other Reports & Dossiers
Statista is a great source of knowledge, and pretty helpful to manage the daily work.
Christof Baron

Christof Baron
CEO, MindShare Germany

Statistics on "Insurance in the Netherlands"
  • Market overview
  • Life Insurance
  • Property & Casualty Insurance: a) overall
The most important statistics
  • Property & Casualty Insurance: b) statutory health insurance
  • Property & Casualty Insurance: c) motor vehicles
  • Social Insurance: pensions
Discover Statista
Need help with using Statista for your research? Tutorials and first steps
Further Content: Statistics, Studies, and Topic Pages
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.
Do you have any questions about our business solutions?

We provide you with detailed information about our Corporate Account.