U.S. Retirement Saving - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about retirement saving in the United States
For those who wish to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle in retirement, saving is important and while the total financial assets of U.S. federal government retirement funds in 2014 amounted to around 3.68 trillion U.S. dollars - up from 3.16 trillion in 2010. With a mounting deficit, financial troubles and public debt levels at over 70 percent of GDP, the pension system is in an acute state of crisis.
Entitlement programs such as social security have been under attack in Congress from both sides of the isle. Curtailing spending on these entitlements is among the suggestions being made as a means of lowering the national deficit. It is also being suggested that those saving accrued by middle-class seniors will be nowhere near sufficient to support their current standards of living. The most popular type of retirement savings account was the 401(k) plan in 2016. This plan allows an employee to choose between receiving compensation in cash or a portion of it gets put into a 401(k) account. However, over ten percent of households with incomes exceeding 200 thousand U.S. dollars in that year didn't own even one retirement account.
Choosing how to save for retirement can be tricky, which leads people to seek advice. A 2016 survey showed that the most popular source of information and advice was a professional financial advisor.
|Government retirement plans||Statistic|
|Financial assets of U.S. federal government retirement funds||3,757bn USD||Details →|
|Assets of federal pension plans in the U.S.||1,512bn USD||Details →|
|Assets of state and local government employee retirement funds in the U.S.||5,625bn USD||Details →|
|Assets of retirement defined contribution plans in the U.S.||6,731bn USD||Details →|
|Net purchases of equities by state and local government retirement funds in the U.S.||-66.7bn USD||Details →|
- Financial assets of federal government retirement funds in the U.S. 2000-2015+Financial assets of federal government retirement funds in the U.S. 2000-2015
Financial assets of federal government retirement funds in the United States from 2000 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Value of retirement accounts owned by affluent American households in 2016+Value of retirement accounts owned by affluent American households in 2016
Value of retirement accounts owned by members of affluent households in the United States in 2016
- Accounts used for retirement savings in the U.S. 2016Accounts used for retirement savings in the U.S. 2016
What type of accounts do you have for your retirement savings?
- Sources of information for retirement saving in U.S. 2016+Sources of information for retirement saving in U.S. 2016
Which of the following sources of information and advice do or would you say are the most important to you when choosing how to save for retirement?
- Policy funding ratio of the five largest pension funds in the Netherlands 2015-2016Policy funding ratio of the five largest pension funds in the Netherlands 2015-2016
- Large U.S. firms offering retiree health benefits to Medicare-age retirees 2000-2016Large U.S. firms offering retiree health benefits to Medicare-age retirees 2000-2016
- Savings rate of households in selected countries worldwide 2010-2014Savings rate of households in selected countries worldwide 2010-2014
- Share of retirement account assets managed by mutual funds in the U.S. 1995-2016Share of retirement account assets managed by mutual funds in the U.S. 1995-2016
- Pension entitlements and claims of households in the Netherlands 2014-2016Pension entitlements and claims of households in the Netherlands 2014-2016