U.S. Food Shopping Behavior - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on food shopping behavior in the U.S.
Despite the economic downturn, the grocery industry has retained its status as a booming sector. Total food sales accounted for 1.46 trillion U.S. dollars in 2014. Almost every household in the U.S. bought consumer packaged goods in the grocery channel in 2014, showing the enormous significance of the industry. Most U.S. shoppers purchased groceries at retail giant Walmart.
Consumers’ determining factors when choosing their primary supermarket, were a high-quality fruit and vegetable department and a clean, neat store in 2014. Americans usually went shopping about 1.5 times a week on average in 2015 and had weekly grocery expenditure amounting to 100.80 U.S. dollars in 2015. Most of consumers' food shopping trips were driven by quick trips to the store. The actual purchase decision was mainly influenced by consumers' spouses or partners in 2014. The product price also plays a dominant role in today’s retail business: over 75 percent of consumers had taken the price into account when deciding whether or not to purchase a food item.
Retail experts expect the industry to grow further in the next couple of years. Trends to watch out for are the growing importance of small format supermarkets, mobile technologies to support consumers’ shopping trips and online grocery shopping like virtual market places.
Photo: istockphoto.com / monticelllo
|Total food sales in the U.S.||$1,459.03bn||Details →|
|Supermarkets are U.S. consumers' primary shopping location||62%||Details →|
|U.S. consumers' weekly grocery expenditure||$107||Details →|
|Promotions & Couponing||Values||Statistic|
|U.S. consumers who have taken advantage of 'buy one, get one free' promotion||93%||Details →|
|U.S. consumers using coupons to save on household expenses||66%||Details →|
|Total number of redeemed CPG coupons in the U.S.||2.75bn||Details →|
|Grocery Shopping Online||Values||Statistic|
|Share of North American consumers likely to try online grocery shopping||55%||Details →|
|Share of U.S. online shoppers||14%||Details →|
|Average annual U.S. household food expenditure||$7,023||Details →|
|Average annual food at-home expenditure of U.S. households||$4,015||Details →|
- Total number of redeemed food grocery coupons in the U.S. 2007-2014Total number of redeemed food grocery coupons in the U.S. 2007-2014
Total number of redeemed food grocery coupons in the United States from 2007 to 2014 (in billions)*
- U.S. consumers: shopping trip accompaniment, 2012+U.S. consumers: shopping trip accompaniment, 2012
Who typically accompanies U.S. consumers on shopping trips?
- E-grocery market share in New York 2014, by retailer +E-grocery market share in New York 2014, by retailer
Online grocery market share of pure online retailers in New York in 2014, by retailer
- New product purchase on last grocery trip worldwide by generation 2015+New product purchase on last grocery trip worldwide by generation 2015
Consumers who purchased a new product on their last grocery shopping trip worldwide in 2015, by generation*
- Frequency of online grocery purchases in Great Britain in 2015+Frequency of online grocery purchases in Great Britain in 2015
How often do you purchase your groceries online?
- U.S. consumers' grocery shopping list usage 2015, by generation+U.S. consumers' grocery shopping list usage 2015, by generation
Grocery shopping list usage among U.S. consumers in 2015, by generation*
- Monthly inflation rate in China March 2017Monthly inflation rate in China March 2017
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area February 2017China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area February 2017
- Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016