Debit cards - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on debit cards
A debit card, often also just known as a bank card, is a plastic payment card used for the withdrawal of cash from an ATM, and for non-cash payments. Debit card users cannot go into debt because they can only use the money currently in their account, unless they sign up for overdraft coverage, which may make it a less risky option to using a credit card. Visa, Mastercard and UnionPay were the biggest debit card issuers by purchase transactions in the world in 2015, but Visa was the clear market leader with over half of the purchase transactions.
The prevalence of debit card usage has continued on its trajectory of growth, reflected by the increasing spread of ownership in the United States . In recent years the use of debit cards has become so widespread that their volume has all but overtaken cheques and, to some extent, the use of physical cash as a payment method. The results of a survey carried out in April 2016 in the U.S. showed that Americans used debit cards mainly to pay for groceries and automatically recurring purchases.
Unlike credit credit cards, payments made using a debit card are transferred directly from the cardholder’s bank account, incurring no charges for payment at a later date. Many debit cards belong to the Visa or MasterCard brand but there are many other that exist only within particularly countries or regions.
Photo: sxc.hu / LotusHead
- Number of debit cards in the U.S. 2000-2015+Number of debit cards in the U.S. 2000-2015
Number of debit cards in the United States from 2000 to 2015* (in millions)
- Market share of leading payment card issuers 2015, by cards in circulation+Market share of leading payment card issuers 2015, by cards in circulation
Market share of leading payment card issuers worldwide in 2015, by cards in circulation
- Distribution of debit card issuers worldwide 2015, by purchase transactions+Distribution of debit card issuers worldwide 2015, by purchase transactions
Distribution of debit card issuers worldwide in 2015, by purchase transactions
- Price of Bitcoin monthly 2015-2017Price of Bitcoin monthly 2015-2017
- United Kingdom (UK): Debit card purchase transactions 2008-2016United Kingdom (UK): Debit card purchase transactions 2008-2016
- Credit & debit card purchase transactions in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016Credit & debit card purchase transactions in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016
- Debit card payment transaction volume change in the Netherlands 2006-2016Debit card payment transaction volume change in the Netherlands 2006-2016
- Leading debit card issuers worldwide 2014, by purchase volumeLeading debit card issuers worldwide 2014, by purchase volume