Smartphone market in Europe - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the smartphone market in Europe
Smartphone technology has been evolving at a rapid rate over the past few years. The technology continues to advance, and smartphones have more features than ever before. The consumption of smartphones has grown alongside the advancements made in the industry.
The European smartphone market is no exception to this growth, and the Western European sales value reached an impressive peak of 55.8 billion U.S. dollars for smartphones in 2015. With an increasing number of people utilizing these highly advanced minicomputers, penetration rates are forecasted to hit 67.3 percent of the total population of Western Europe by 2018. Some countries are of course ahead of the game when it comes to the penetration rate of smartphones. The United Kingdom, for example, already held a penetration rate of 66.07 percent in 2015, and France is forecasted to be at 73.02 percent by 2018.
Globally, there were approximately 1.86 billion smartphone users in 2015. In order to put some of the above mentioned penetration rates into perspective, the United Kingdom's number of smartphone users added up to a total of 42.85 million in 2015, and Germany reached a total of 49.2 million in 2016.
It doesn't seem to matter which part of Europe you look at, the majority of smartphone buyers are chosing the Android operating system, closely followed by iOS. In Spain the market share held by Android is particularly high with a total of 90 percent as of July 2016. In Germany on the other hand, Android had a market share of 79.8 percent as of July 2016.
With such a large percentage of the population owning a smartphone, you may find yourself wondering what consumers actually spend their time doing on their smartphones. Most countries in Europe have "using the search engine" as one of their top activities on their smartphone. Belgians and the Dutch, however, mostly used their smartphone to check their emails in 2016, with a total of 45 and 63 percent respectively, having done this activity at least weekly.
Picture: istockphoto.com / alexsl; Wikimedia/cc, TechGizmo
- Forecast: European feature phone and smartphone shipments 2008-2020Forecast: European feature phone and smartphone shipments 2008-2020
Feature phone and smartphone shipments in Europe from 2008 to 2020 (in 1,000 units)
- Smartphone share of mobile phone users in Germany 2014-2019+Smartphone share of mobile phone users in Germany 2014-2019
Share of mobile phone users that use a smartphone in Germany from 2014 to 2019
- Smartphone penetration for mobile phone owners UK 2015, by age groupSmartphone penetration for mobile phone owners UK 2015, by age group
Smartphone penetration for mobile phone owners in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2015, by age group
- Share of smartphones by device (Apple iPhone/Samsung Galaxy) in Europe 2015-2016+Share of smartphones by device (Apple iPhone/Samsung Galaxy) in Europe 2015-2016
Market share of smartphones in Europe by device from 2Q'15 to 4Q'16*
- Average monthly smartphone data usage per Vodafone customer in Europe 2014-2016+Average monthly smartphone data usage per Vodafone customer in Europe 2014-2016
Average monthly smartphone data usage per Vodafone customer in Europe from 2014 to 2016 (in megabytes)*
- Share of smartphone shipments in Europe 2015-2016, by vendor+Share of smartphone shipments in Europe 2015-2016, by vendor
Smartphone shipments' share in Europe by vendor from 1st quarter 2015 to 3rd quarter 2016
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month February 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month February 2016
- IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021
- Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- U.S. mobile network service operators/providers revenue 2008-2016U.S. mobile network service operators/providers revenue 2008-2016