Maternal Deaths in the U.S. Are on the Rise
Astonishingly, while maternal health and safety has improved almost everywhere in the world since 1990, the situation in the United States has deteriorated significantly. The number of maternal deaths per 100,000 live births grew from 12 in 1990 to 28 in 2013. While that is still a good number compared to large parts of the world, there are 30 countries in the world with a maternal mortality ratio much lower than the United States. The increase in maternal deaths can be attributed to a number of reasons. For one, the average age and weight of women getting pregnant is rising, increasing the risks associated with pregnancy. Moreover, the number of c-section births is growing rapidly, as more and more women choose to give birth by c-section for cosmetic rather than medical reasons.
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017
- China: weekly box office revenue - May 8 to May 14, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - May 8 to May 14, 2017
- 2017 global list of top mining companies based on revenue2017 global list of top mining companies based on revenue
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016
- Monthly Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers in the U.S. April 2017Monthly Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers in the U.S. April 2017
- Monthly percentage of change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI-U) in the U.S. 2016/17Monthly percentage of change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI-U) in the U.S. 2016/17
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl