Nearly 1 in 5 U.S. Adults Plan to Buy Wearable Tech
Wearable technology is on the verge of breaking through to the mainstream in the United States. According to a new study released by Ipsos, 8 in 10 American adults have at least heard of wearable devices, while more than 4 in 10 are very familar or even own a wearable gadget.
In terms of purchase intention, wearables are still far behind smartphones, tablets and laptops, but on par or ahead of mainstream devices such as video game consoles, eReaders and streaming devices. Almost 1 in 5 U.S. adults surveyed by Ipsos stated their intent to purchase a wearable device in the next 12 months.
Even though the iWatch hasn't even hit the stores yet, Apple is already the most popular brand in the wearable category. 62% of the respondents said they would consider buying wearable tech made by Apple, while less than half would consider devices made by Google or Samsung.
- Penetration of wearable technology in Great Britain, Germany, France and Italy 2016Penetration of wearable technology in Great Britain, Germany, France and Italy 2016
- Wearable technology ownership in Great Britain in 2016, by brandWearable technology ownership in Great Britain in 2016, by brand
- Wearable technology: Christmas retail sales revenue in the UK 2013-2014, by productWearable technology: Christmas retail sales revenue in the UK 2013-2014, by product
- Share of global wearables sales 2014-2018, by categoryShare of global wearables sales 2014-2018, by category
- Global unit sales of wearables 2014-2016, by region Global unit sales of wearables 2014-2016, by region
- Share of global wearable sales by region and product category 2015Share of global wearable sales by region and product category 2015
- Smartwatch unit sales worldwide 2014-2018Smartwatch unit sales worldwide 2014-2018
- Global wearable technology unit shipments by category 2015Global wearable technology unit shipments by category 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens