The Global Wearables Market in 2015
According to estimates published by market research firm IDC, Apple sold 4.1 million Apple Watches in the fourth quarter of 2015. While that makes the Cupertino-based company the world’s no. 1 smartwatch vendor and the second-largest vendor of wearable devices in general, analysts widely considered the number a disappointment. As Apple devices make for popular Christmas gifts, the company typically sees its sales spike in the holiday quarter. Apple Watch sales increased by no more than 5 percent over the previous quarter, indicating that Apple’s smartwatch wasn’t among the most-wanted items this holiday season.
The opposite appears to have been the case for wearables market leader Fitbit. The company that specializes in fitness armbands considerably cheaper than most smartwatches saw shipments jump by more than 70 percent during the holiday quarter.
Despite consumers’ ongoing skepticism about the value added by smartwatches, the global wearables market grew by 172 percent in 2015. Fitbit, Apple and Co. shipped a total of 78.1 million devices in the past year, up from 28.8 million in 2014.
- Number of health & fitness wearable devices and app users in the UK 2014-2015Number of health & fitness wearable devices and app users in the UK 2014-2015
- Wearable technology sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014, by productWearable technology sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014, by product
- Wearable technology sales value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014, by productWearable technology sales value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014, by product
- U.S. internet usage penetration 2015, by age groupU.S. internet usage penetration 2015, by age group
- Wearable cameras global market size 2015-2021Wearable cameras global market size 2015-2021
- Projected healthcare wearable device shipments worldwide 2015-2021Projected healthcare wearable device shipments worldwide 2015-2021
- Healthcare wearable devices - global market size 2015-2021Healthcare wearable devices - global market size 2015-2021
- Number of Nike's non-U.S. retail stores 2009-2016Number of Nike's non-U.S. retail stores 2009-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl