The Predicted Wearables Boom Is All About The Wrist
Ever since the tablet boom started to fade, many experts predicted wearable devices to be the next big thing in the tech industry. A recent forecast by IDC seems to confirm that prediction: IDC’s analysts expect worldwide wearable device shipments to grow from 19.6 million units in 2014 to 45.7 million this year and reach 126.1 million units by 2019.
However, speaking of a wearables boom in general seems like a stretch when considering the numbers in more detail. According to IDC, the market’s growth will be fuelled almost exclusively by smart watches and wrist-worn fitness trackers, which are expected to account for 9 in 10 wearables shipped this year. Meanwhile no other type of wearable device is expected to break through to the mainstream anytime soon, as our chart nicely illustrates.
- Number of health & fitness wearable devices and app users in the UK 2014-2015Number of health & fitness wearable devices and app users in the UK 2014-2015
- Connected wearable devices worldwide 2015-2020Connected wearable devices worldwide 2015-2020
- Ownership and interest in selected wearable devices in the UK 2014Ownership and interest in selected wearable devices in the UK 2014
- U.S. consumer electronics industry wholesale revenue 2009-2016U.S. consumer electronics industry wholesale revenue 2009-2016
- U.S. internet usage penetration 2015, by age groupU.S. internet usage penetration 2015, by age group
- Projected healthcare wearable device shipments worldwide 2015-2021Projected healthcare wearable device shipments worldwide 2015-2021
- Share of global wearables sales 2014-2018, by categoryShare of global wearables sales 2014-2018, by category
- Global unit sales of wearables 2014-2016, by region Global unit sales of wearables 2014-2016, by region
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl