Apple Is Already Dominating the Smartwatch Market
In its first quarter on the market, the Apple Watch already dominated global smartwatch sales. While Apple did not break out Apple Watch sales in its latest earning report, analysts are estimating that the company sold between 2.5 and 4 million watches between its release in April and the end of June. According to Strategy Analytics, which pegs Apple Watch sales at the high end of that range, Apple accounted for more than 75 percent of global smartwatch sales in the past quarter.
Apple’s rise from non-competitor to market leader speaks volumes of the company’s marketing power. Despite many other smartwatches being available long before the Apple Watch, it took the appeal of the Apple brand to take smartwatch sales to another level.
- Penetration of wearable technology in Great Britain, Germany, France and Italy 2016Penetration of wearable technology in Great Britain, Germany, France and Italy 2016
- Wearable technology ownership in Great Britain in 2016, by brandWearable technology ownership in Great Britain in 2016, by brand
- Wearable technology: Christmas retail sales revenue in the UK 2013-2014, by productWearable technology: Christmas retail sales revenue in the UK 2013-2014, by product
- Most funded Kickstarter projects 2016Most funded Kickstarter projects 2016
- Apple's revenue broken down by operating segments 2012-2016, by quarterApple's revenue broken down by operating segments 2012-2016, by quarter
- Share of global wearables sales 2014-2018, by categoryShare of global wearables sales 2014-2018, by category
- Share of global wearable sales by region and product category 2015Share of global wearable sales by region and product category 2015
- Smartwatch unit sales worldwide 2014-2018Smartwatch unit sales worldwide 2014-2018
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens