Analysts Bullish on Smartwatches, Cautious on VR Breakthrough
Despite the feeling that the smartwatch hype has died down a bit following the slightly underwhelming launch of the Apple Watch last fall, analysts remain positive on the short-term outlook of smart wristwatches. Market research firm Gartner expects global smartwatch sales to more than double by 2017, quoting Apple’s marketing power as one of the keys to making connected watches a lifestyle item.
Often tagged as the big thing to watch in 2016, virtual reality headsets are also poised for significant growth in the next two years. However, industry experts remain cautious on the mainstream appeal of “head-mounted displays” such as Oculus Rift or the discontinued Google Glass project. While Gartner predicts global sales to increase from 0.14 million last year to more than 6 million units in 2017, that would still be far from mainstream adoption.
- Number of health & fitness wearable devices and app users in the UK 2014-2015Number of health & fitness wearable devices and app users in the UK 2014-2015
- Ownership and interest in selected wearable devices in the UK 2014Ownership and interest in selected wearable devices in the UK 2014
- Sales volume of wearable devices in the UK Q1-Q3 2014Sales volume of wearable devices in the UK Q1-Q3 2014
- U.S. internet usage penetration 2015, by age groupU.S. internet usage penetration 2015, by age group
- Connected device reach in the U.S. 2016Connected device reach in the U.S. 2016
- Share of global wearables sales 2014-2018, by categoryShare of global wearables sales 2014-2018, by category
- Global unit sales of wearables 2014-2016, by region Global unit sales of wearables 2014-2016, by region
- Share of global wearable sales by region and product category 2015Share of global wearable sales by region and product category 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens