Fitbit Retains Wearables Market Lead
Despite strong competition from Apple and Xiaomi, Fitbit has retained the lead in the global wearables market in the third quarter of 2015. The maker of fitness tracking devices shipped 4.7 million units between July and September, an increase of more than 100 percent over last year's third quarter. Fitbit's focus on fitness tracking functionality continues to resonate well with customers and the company's strategy to market its devices to large corporations as part of corporate health initiatives is paying off.
A quarter after debuting the Apple Watch, Apple managed to sell 3.9 million watches, representing a slight uptick from the 3.6 million units it shipped in its first quarter on the market. Xiaomi came close to matching Apple's shipment volume, albeit with a device that costs a fraction of the Apple Watch. The company's low-cost Mi Band is particularly popular in China and has yet to make a significant impact in Western markets.
Overall, the wearables market almost tripled in size compared to last year's third quarter. Between July and September, 21 million wearable devices were shipped around the world according to IDC's estimates.
- Forecast Apple Watch shipments worldwide 2015-2016Forecast Apple Watch shipments worldwide 2015-2016
- Apple Pay purchases types by Apple Watch owners worldwide 2015Apple Pay purchases types by Apple Watch owners worldwide 2015
- Reasons for not using Apple Pay according to global Apple Watch owners 2015Reasons for not using Apple Pay according to global Apple Watch owners 2015
- Connected things/devices worldwide by vertical 2015-2021Connected things/devices worldwide by vertical 2015-2021
- U.S. consumer electronics industry wholesale revenue 2009-2016U.S. consumer electronics industry wholesale revenue 2009-2016
- Prominent digital health IPOs in the United States 2015Prominent digital health IPOs in the United States 2015
- Most effective digital marketing techniques 2017Most effective digital marketing techniques 2017
- Top health care services companies in R&D spending growth for 3 years until 2015Top health care services companies in R&D spending growth for 3 years until 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl