Where Wall Street Sees the Future of Retail
The holiday shopping season is still upon us, but Wall Street has already made a decision on who is this year’s big winner in retail: it’s Amazon. The company dominated Black Friday sales in the United States and is all but certain to be the number 1 source for last minute presents for many million people around the world. Amazon’s stock price more than doubled this year, bringing the company’s market cap to more than $300 billion.
Comparing Amazon’s stock performance in 2015 to that of some traditional retailers gives a clear indication of where Wall Street sees the future of retail. Industry heavyweights such as Best Buy and Walmart have all seen their stock price crumble in 2015 as they struggle to break Amazon’s dominance in the online world. For now, it appears as if Amazon’s relentless focus on growth over profit is paying off. However, it’ll be interesting to see if the company can maintain its dominant position AND operate profitably in the long run.
- Amazon's online retail market share in Germany from 2008 to 2015Amazon's online retail market share in Germany from 2008 to 2015
- Amazon's market share of entertainment retail in Great Britain 2013-2016Amazon's market share of entertainment retail in Great Britain 2013-2016
- Revenues of the world's leading retail companies 2015Revenues of the world's leading retail companies 2015
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Book store sales in the U.S. 1992-2015Book store sales in the U.S. 1992-2015
- U.S. trade balance 2000-2016U.S. trade balance 2000-2016
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015
- U.S. online shops and mail-order house sales 2003-2015U.S. online shops and mail-order house sales 2003-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl