Apple's Astonishing Profit in Context
When Apple released its fourth quarter earnings in late October, the reaction from commentators, analysts and investors was largely negative. The company had missed earnings expectations, sold fewer iPads than expected and its margins had declined.
What went by nearly unnoticed however, was the fact that Apple had just wrapped up its fiscal year 2012 with a record profit of $41.7 billion on $156.5 billion revenue.
How huge these numbers really are becomes more evident when compared to the results of Apple’s competition:
• From October 2011 through September 2012, the combined net profit of Microsoft, Google, eBay, Yahoo, Facebook and Amazon was $34.4 billion. Apple alone made $7 billion more.
• In the same period, Dell, Asus, Intel, Acer, IBM, Lenovo and HP, i.e. virtually the entire PC industry, made $19.3 billion or less than half of Apple’s profit.
Seeing these numbers, it is no surprise that, despite its recent dip, Apple is still the most valuable public company in the world. All its recent shortcomings notwithstanding, Apple’s business remains incredibly profitable.
- Total worldwide prescription drug revenue growth - projection 2016-2022Total worldwide prescription drug revenue growth - projection 2016-2022
- Forecast revenue growth rate global semiconductor industry 1988-2018Forecast revenue growth rate global semiconductor industry 1988-2018
- Top pharmaceutical and biotech companies by profit growth in three years 2014Top pharmaceutical and biotech companies by profit growth in three years 2014
- Iron ore prices monthly 2015-2016Iron ore prices monthly 2015-2016
- DMO: smart home market revenue change in the UK 2015-2021DMO: smart home market revenue change in the UK 2015-2021
- DMO: smart home market revenue change in the UK 2015-2021, by segmentDMO: smart home market revenue change in the UK 2015-2021, by segment
- China: leading online video platforms by unique visits as of August 18, 2016China: leading online video platforms by unique visits as of August 18, 2016
- Total worldwide prescription drug revenue - projection 2016-2022Total worldwide prescription drug revenue - projection 2016-2022
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl