In-room entertainment at hotels
Netflix Killed the Video Star
In the old days, when business travelers got bored of being shacked up in yet another hotel room, they used to rely on their hotel’s video-on-demand assortment to offer a welcome distraction.
In addition to being a valuable service for hotel guests, in-room entertainment was also a welcome source of revenue for hotels, which were able to charge lofty prices and earn healthy margins.
Those days are over however, as today’s travelers usually carry all the entertainment they need right in their pocket. According to CBRE Hotels, U.S. hotels have seen a precipitous fall of in-room video rentals over the past 15 years, with revenues per available room dropping 75 percent between 2000 and 2015.
- Projected video on demand revenue in Germany 2014-2019Projected video on demand revenue in Germany 2014-2019
- Global video on demand sector revenue 2017, by typeGlobal video on demand sector revenue 2017, by type
- Time spent with video on demand content in the U.S. 2015, by typeTime spent with video on demand content in the U.S. 2015, by type
- Monthly hotel occupancy rates worldwide 2015-2017, by regionMonthly hotel occupancy rates worldwide 2015-2017, by region
- Monthly average hotel daily rate worldwide 2015-2017, by regionMonthly average hotel daily rate worldwide 2015-2017, by region
- Monthly occupancy rate of hotels in the U.S. 2011-2017Monthly occupancy rate of hotels in the U.S. 2011-2017
- Monthly average daily rate of U.S. hotels 2011-2017Monthly average daily rate of U.S. hotels 2011-2017
- Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl