Glossary of Statistical Terms: Definition Data
Data means measured values, and is collected through interviews, experiments and observations. Data is normally numerical or categorical. Numerical data has a mathematical meaning as the measured value such as a weight or an intelligence quotient. Categorical data on the other hand, includes characteristics like gender, opinion or marital status. All of the data, numerical and categorical, is called the dataset of a sample.
Please note that the definitions in our statistics encyclopedia are simplified explanations of terms. Our goal is to make the definitions accessible for a broad audience; thus it is possible that some definitions do not adhere entirely to scientific standards.
- Density functionDensity function
- Dependent variableDependent variable
- Descriptive statisticsDescriptive statistics
- Dispersion parameterDispersion parameter
- Distribution functionDistribution function