Glossary of Statistical Terms: Definition Deduction
A logical conclusion, where the general becomes the particular. The overall finding is that 'all living things die'. One example of deduction: Flipper is a living creature, so Flipper will also die. See also abduction and induction.
Please note that the definitions in our statistics encyclopedia are simplified explanations of terms. Our goal is to make the definitions accessible for a broad audience; thus it is possible that some definitions do not adhere entirely to scientific standards.
- Density functionDensity function
- Dependent variableDependent variable
- Descriptive statisticsDescriptive statistics
- Dispersion parameterDispersion parameter
- Distribution functionDistribution function