Try our corporate solution for free!
(212) 419-8286
hadley.ward@statista.com

Pharmaceutical channel distribution by U.S. spending 2017-2019

In the United States, approximately 511 billion U.S. dollars was spent on medicines in 2019. Spending in retail outlets and mail order services accounted for a 70 percent share, with the other 30 percent spent in institutional channels such as hospitals, clinics, and long-term care facilities.

The growing market of online pharmacies

With sales revenues totaling 144 billion U.S. dollars in 2019, chain pharmacies continue to contribute the largest share of spending in the pharmaceutical market. CVS Health was the leading pharmacy in the United States based on prescription revenue, generating around 109 billion U.S. dollars in 2019. The popularity of mail service pharmacies has grown in recent years: spending in this channel increased by around 20 billion U.S. dollars between 2017 and 2019. The worldwide online pharmacy market is forecast to be worth 128 billion U.S. dollars in 2023.

Finding a cure for high prescription prices

Medications that are prescribed by primary care physicians can be bought at chain and independent pharmacies that are both regional and national. Prices differ between pharmacies, and patients are often advised to shop around and compare prices to get the best deal for their prescriptions. Shopping online is one way to help reduce costs, and another is to ask for the generic versions of drugs – these contain the same active ingredients as brand name drugs and enter the market once key patents expire.

Channel distribution of U.S. pharmaceutical spending from 2017 to 2019

Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Single Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Single Account

$39 $59 per month *
in the first 12 months
33% discount until May 31st
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$468 / Year
$708 / Year

Show detailed source information?
Register for free
Already a member?
Log in
Source

Release date

August 2020

Region

United States

Survey time period

2017 to 2019

Supplementary notes

Spending is based on IQVIA National Sales Perspectives and is not adjusted for estimates of off-invoice discounts and rebates. Includes prescription-bound products including insulin products and excluding other products such as OTC. IQVIA routinely updates its national audits, which may result in changes to previously reported market size and growth rates.
* Retail channels.
** Institutional channels.

Open this statistic in...
Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account.

Single Account
The ideal entry-level account for individual users
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references
$59 $39 / Month *
in the first 12 months
Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* Prices do not include sales tax.

Statistics on "U.S. pharmaceutical industry"

Further Content: You might find this interesting as well

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.