Biotechnology industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the biotech industry
Biotechnology uses biological systems or living organisms for the development of its products, mostly biopharmaceutical drugs. The key regions for the global biotech industry are the United States and Europe. As of 2015, about 670 public companies and over 200 thousand employees in these regions generate some 133 billion U.S. dollars of biotech revenue.
The United States is the leading global biotech player, with almost 108 billion U.S. dollars of revenue and the industry’s total market capitalization of some 890 billion U.S. dollars. More than 130 thousand people are employed by U.S. public biotechnology companies. The San Francisco Bay Area has the highest concentration of biotech companies within the United States, and accordingly also the highest biotech revenues.
Since 2014, Gilead, from Foster City, California, is the world's largest pure-play biotechnology company, overtaking long-time leader Amgen, also based in California. Of the top five biotech companies globally, four are from the United States. Since the acquisition of U.S.-based Genentech in 2009, Swiss pharmaceutical company Roche has the highest biotech revenue worldwide. However, Illinois-based company AbbVie is the manufacturer of the best-selling biotech drug - Humira. Cancer drugs make up the largest part of biopharmaceutical research and development.
Biotechnology is also used in agriculture, mostly in form of genetically modifying crops to make them more resistant or more fruit-bearing. This issue is much discussed because of the possible consequences for the environment and human health. The United States is the country with the highest acreage of GM crops worldwide. For example, some 76 percent of all U.S. corn acreage is genetically manipulated. Top companies in the GM crop segment are Monsanto, Syngenta and Bayer CropScience, for example.
Photo: istockphoto.com / globares
|Overview U.S. and Europe||Values||Statistic|
|Revenues of established biotech centers worldwide in 2015||132.7bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. public biotech companies revenues in 2015||107.7bn USD||Details →|
|Number of private biotech companies in the U.S. in 2015||2,336||Details →|
|European public biotech companies revenues in 2015||25bn USD||Details →|
|Total capital raised in U.S. and EU biotech companies in 2015||71bn USD||Details →|
|Revenue of Gilead Sciences in 2015||32.64bn USD||Details →|
|Top global biotech company based on R&D expenditure in 2015||Roche||Details →|
|Number of employees at Novo Nordisk (Denmark) in 2015||41,122||Details →|
|Roche's share of the global biotech prescription drug market in 2015||16.9%||Details →|
|Biotech in agriculture||Values||Statistic|
|Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide in 2015 (in hectares)||179.7m||Details →|
|Percentage of herbicide tolerant genetically modified soybean crops in the U.S. in 2016||94%||Details →|
|Bayer CropScience's revenue in 2016||9.9bn EUR||Details →|
- Key figures on established biotech centers worldwide 2012-2015+Key figures on established biotech centers worldwide 2012-2015
Key figures on established biotechnology centers worldwide from 2012 to 2015*
- Top global biotech companies - revenue 2015+Top global biotech companies - revenue 2015
Revenue of top global biotechnology companies in 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide 2003-2015+Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide 2003-2015
Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide from 2003 to 2015 (in million hectares)
- Gross profit margin of select U.S. biotech and drugs companies Q4 2016Gross profit margin of select U.S. biotech and drugs companies Q4 2016
- Top global pharmaceutical companies based on pharma revenue 2016Top global pharmaceutical companies based on pharma revenue 2016
- Gilead Sciences' revenue and net income 2006-2016Gilead Sciences' revenue and net income 2006-2016
- Gilead Sciences' top products based on revenue 2011-2016Gilead Sciences' top products based on revenue 2011-2016
- Market share of top 20 companies for orphan drugs worldwide 2016 and 2022Market share of top 20 companies for orphan drugs worldwide 2016 and 2022