U.S. Wind Power Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and Facts about Wind Power in the U.S.
The United States has one of the largest wind energy markets in the world. Wind power development in the country has been largely supported through a production tax credit which allows producers to be paid based on the amount of electricity they produce through wind sources. However, uncertainty about the market and the future of subsidies or other tax benefits may hinder market growth in coming years.
In 2014, wind power was the largest non-hydroelectric renewable energy source in the United States. The country generated about 191 terawatt hours of wind power that year. With a global market share of around 15.5 percent, General Electric was the leading wind turbine manufacturer in 2012. In 2015, the U.S.-based company generated revenue of around 6.27 billion U.S. dollars from its renewable energy segment in the fiscal year of 2015.
NextEra topped the list of U.S. wind power providers, based on 2012 capacity under managing ownership. The Florida-based electricity supplier owns and operates Horse Hollow and Capricorn Ridge, two of the largest wind power projects in the United States. U.S. wind power capacity additions are projected to reach approximately 3 gigawatts in 2015.
Photo: istockphoto.com / nikada
|Wind energy in the U.S. power market||Statistic|
|Cumulative installed wind power capacity in the U.S.||82.2 GW||Details →|
|U.S. wind electricity net generation||226.49bn kWh||Details →|
|Sales price of wind power||$37.66/MWh||Details →|
|Increase in wind power generation in the U.S.||5.1%||Details →|
|Goldwind's global wind turbine manufacturer market share||12.5%||Details →|
|Vesta's global wind turbine manufacturer market share||11.8%||Details →|
|Siemens Wind Power's revenue||6.69bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. wind capacity from GE Wind||3,468 MW||Details →|
|Wind turbines and projects||Statistic|
|Average rotor diameter of wind energy turbines||102.53 m||Details →|
|Number of offshore wind farm projects under construction in Germany||4||Details →|
|Size of largest U.S. wind power project - Alta Wind Energy Center||1,548 MW||Details →|
- U.S. wind power generation 2000-2016U.S. wind power generation 2000-2016
U.S. wind electricity net generation from 2000 to 2016 (in billion kilowatt hours)
- Largest wind power projects in the United States 2014Largest wind power projects in the United States 2014
Largest U.S. wind power projects as of 2014, by installed capacity (in megawatts)
- Global cumulative installed capacity of wind power: by country 2016Global cumulative installed capacity of wind power: by country 2016
Cumulative installed capacity of wind power worldwide in 2016, by country (in megawatts)*
- U.S. electricity generation 1950-2016U.S. electricity generation 1950-2016
- Renewable energy - consumption of the top countries 2015Renewable energy - consumption of the top countries 2015
- Primary energy - global consumption 1998-2015Primary energy - global consumption 1998-2015
- Global wind market forecast by annual capacity 2016-2021Global wind market forecast by annual capacity 2016-2021
- Global wind market forecast by cumulative capacity 2016-2021Global wind market forecast by cumulative capacity 2016-2021