Travel and Tourism Industry in the U.S. - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the travel and tourism industry in the U.S.
The travel and tourism industry is one of the largest industries in the United States, making a total contribution of 1.47 trillion U.S. dollars to GDP in 2014. The industry was forecasted to contribute more than 2.5 trillion U.S. dollars by 2025. In 2014, U.S. travel and tourism entered the spotlight when President Barak Obama took on a campaign to promote the industry and make the airport entry process easier in order to attract more international visitors. The campaign focused on increasing international travel spending within the country, creating more jobs for U.S. residents as a result.
There were 75 million non-resident visitors to the United States in 2015, with New York City proving to be the most popular city destination. Of those visitors, travelers from Canada contributed the most to international travel spending at around 26 billion U.S. dollars. Visitors from China and Mexico also spent generously. However, international travel spending was dwarfed by domestic travel spending – U.S. residents spent 802 billion U.S. dollars traveling their homeland in 2015.
The most popular destination type for U.S. travelers was beach locations in 2015, closely followed by vacations in the center of a city. In the same year, around nine percent of U.S. travelers cited a cruise as their ideal destination type. Despite this seemingly low share of travelers, the U.S. was the leading source market for cruises in the world in 2014. In comparison to the second largest cruise source market Germany, the United States had over five times more cruise passengers in that year.
Picture: freeimages.com / Kolobsek; istockphoto.com / hronos7
|Contribution of travel and tourism to GDP in the U.S.||$1.51tr||Details →|
|Direct contribution of travel and tourism to employment in the U.S.||5.49m||Details →|
|Travel and Tourism Expenditure||Values||Statistic|
|Domestic and international travel expenditures in the U.S.||$947.11bn||Details →|
|Annual growth of travel expenditure in the U.S.||2.1%||Details →|
|Visitor travel spending by Canadian tourists to the U.S.||$22.7bn||Details →|
|Inbound and Outbound Travel||Values||Statistic|
|Number of inbound international visitors to the U.S.||77.5m||Details →|
|Number to overseas visitors to New York City||10.13m||Details →|
|Number of U.S. residents travelling overseas||32.79m||Details →|
|Number of outbound tourists from the U.S.||73.45m||Details →|
- Domestic and international travel expenditures in the U.S. 2000-2015+Domestic and international travel expenditures in the U.S. 2000-2015
Domestic and international travel expenditures in the United States from 2000 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Most popular types of vacation destination for U.S. travelers in 2015+Most popular types of vacation destination for U.S. travelers in 2015
To which of the following types of destinations do you plan on vacationing this summer?
- Revenue of the U.S. hotel industry 2001-2015Revenue of the U.S. hotel industry 2001-2015
Revenue of the United States hotel industry from 2001 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Contribution of travel and tourism to GDP in the U.S. 2008-2027+Contribution of travel and tourism to GDP in the U.S. 2008-2027
Contribution of travel and tourism to GDP in the United States from 2008 to 2027 (in trillion U.S. dollars)
- United States: digital travel sales 2014-2019, by channel+United States: digital travel sales 2014-2019, by channel
Digital travel sales in the United States from 2014 to 2019, by channel (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Leading travel agents in the U.S. ranked by buzz score 2016Leading travel agents in the U.S. ranked by buzz score 2016
Leading travel agents in the United States in 2016, by buzz score*
- Leading travel cruises in the U.S. ranked by buzz score 2016Leading travel cruises in the U.S. ranked by buzz score 2016
Leading travel cruise lines in the United States in 2016, by buzz score*
- Monthly average hotel daily rate worldwide 2015-2017, by regionMonthly average hotel daily rate worldwide 2015-2017, by region
- Number of tourist overnight stays in Germany until 2016Number of tourist overnight stays in Germany until 2016
- Global hotel industry retail value from 2010 to 2018Global hotel industry retail value from 2010 to 2018
- Revenue of selected leading hotels worldwide 2015Revenue of selected leading hotels worldwide 2015
- Tourism intensity in Germany: overnight stays per 1,000 inhabitants until 2015Tourism intensity in Germany: overnight stays per 1,000 inhabitants until 2015