Major League Baseball (MLB) - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Major League Baseball (MLB)
Major League Baseball (MLB) is a professional sports league in North America consisting of 30 teams that play in the American League and the National League.
The league generated a total of 8.39 billion U.S. dollars in revenue in 2015, an average of around 280 million U.S. dollars per team. Around one third of these revenues is generated through ticket sales. This percentage has continously declined from almost 40 percent in 2009 to 30 percent in 2015.
The New York Yankees, the team with the highest revenue in Major League Baseball, generated around 260 million U.S. dollars of income from gate receipts alone. The Yankees are also the most valuable franchise in baseball with an estimated value of 3.4 billion U.S. dollars in 2016.
Revenue from television and media rights is also an important stream of revenue for MLB. Broadcasting deals with TBS, ESPN and Fox, starting with the 2014 season, will bring in around 12.4 billion U.S. dollars in total revenue through 2021. Teams also market their games through individual TV-deals. The New York Yankees earned about 85 million U.S. dollars in 2012 from broadcasting rights through a deal with the YES Network.
Due to its extensive regular season schedule (162 games per team, 2,420 games total leaguewide) the league has the highest total attendance amongst sports leagues worldwide (73.76 million in 2015). In 2015 average attendance at regular season games was at about 30.5 thousand. The average ticket price was at 31 U.S. dollars for the 2016 season.
Photo: istockphoto.com / andreypopov
|Number of participants in baseball in the U.S.||13.71m||Details →|
|Consumer spending on baseball equipment in the U.S.||$619m||Details →|
|Number of World Series won by the New York Yankees||27||Details →|
|MLB – The League||Values||Statistic|
|Major League Baseball revenue||$8.39bn||Details →|
|Average annual league revenue per team||$279.8m||Details →|
|New York Yankees revenue||$516m||Details →|
|Average franchise value||$1,288m||Details →|
|Luxury tax payments by MLB teams||$74m||Details →|
|MLB: total attendance at regular season games||73.16m||Details →|
|Marketing and Media||Values||Statistic|
|Revenue from advertising/sponsorships||$150m||Details →|
|Average TV ratings of World Series games in the U.S.||13.1||Details →|
|Average TV viewership of World Series games in the U.S. 2016||23.4m||Details →|
|New York Yankees Twitter followers||1,905k||Details →|
|Players and Salaries||Values||Statistic|
|Average payroll of MLB teams||$106.23m||Details →|
|Average player salary in Major League Baseball||$4.38m||Details →|
- Average team valuation in Major League Baseball 2016+Average team valuation in Major League Baseball 2016
Major League Baseball average franchise value from 2002 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Total revenue of Major League Baseball 2015+Total revenue of Major League Baseball 2015
Major League Baseball: total league revenue from 2001 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- MLB average per game attendance 2009-2016+MLB average per game attendance 2009-2016
Average per game attendance (regular season) in Major League Baseball from 2009 to 2016
- Average per game attendance of major US sports leagues 2015/16Average per game attendance of major US sports leagues 2015/16
- Most watched TV networks in the U.S. 2016Most watched TV networks in the U.S. 2016
- Nike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by regionNike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by region
- Nike's net income worldwide 2005-2016Nike's net income worldwide 2005-2016
- Nike's revenue worldwide 2009-2016, by regionNike's revenue worldwide 2009-2016, by region