National Football League (NFL) - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the National Football League (NFL)
The National Football League (NFL) is a professional football league in the United States. The league was founded in 1920 as the American Professional Football Association and played its inaugural season with eleven teams. Today, the NFL comprises 32 teams spread out over two conferences, the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC), that each consist of four divisions.
The NFL as a whole has increased its revenue every year for more than ten years now from around 6 billion U.S. dollars in 2004 to more than 12 billion U.S. dollars in 2015. In comparison, the revenue of Major League Baseball (MLB) was at 8.4 billion U.S. dollars in 2015, while the National Basketball Association (NBA) and the National Hockey League (NHL) generated around six and four billion U.S. dollars in annual revenue respectively. The Dallas Cowboys are the highest-grossing team in the league with more than 700 million U.S. dollars in revenue, with the New England Patriots, the Washington Redskins, the San Francisco 49ers and the New York Giants rounding out the top-5 in terms of revenue in 2015.
In 2016, the Dallas Cowboys were also the most valuable franchise in the NFL with an estimated value of 4.2 billion U.S. dollars according to Forbes. League-wide franchises were worth more than two billion U.S. dollars on average. Compared to the NBA, MLB and the NHL, NFL franchises are the most valuable. The least valuable franchise is the Buffalo Bills with a value of 1.5 billion U.S. dollars, still more than the estimated average value of teams in MLB (1.3 billion U.S. dollars).
The NFL is also the professional sports league with the highest average per game attendance, drawing more than 69 thousand spectators per game in the 2016 season, a total of almost 18 million. The average ticket price in the NFL was at 85.83 U.S. dollars in 2015. Tickets to games of the New York Giants are the most expensive (123.4 U.S. dollars). The least expensive tickets, based on the average ticket price, are for the Jacksonville Jaguars’ games, with an average price of 57.65 U.S. dollars.
The annual championship game, the Super Bowl, is one of the biggest single day sports events in the world drawing high television ratings each year, generating several billion U.S. dollars in consumer spending.
Photo: istockphoto.com / anthiacumming
|Franchise value & revenue||Values||Statistic|
|NFL total league revenue||12.16bn USD||Details →|
|NFL team with the highest revenue - Dallas Cowboys||700m USD||Details →|
|Average franchise value of NFL teams||2.34bn USD||Details →|
|NFL franchise with the highest value - Dallas Cowboys||4.2bn USD||Details →|
|Sponsorship revenue of the NFL||1.25bn USD||Details →|
|Attendance & ticket prices||Values||Statistic|
|NFL total regular season attendance||17.8m||Details →|
|Average attendance in the NFL||69,487||Details →|
|NFL team with the highest attendance - Dallas Cowboys||92,539||Details →|
|NFL average ticket price||93 USD||Details →|
|Franchise with the highest average ticket price in the NFL - Chicago Bears||132 USD||Details →|
|Average price for a beer at NFL stadiums||7.4 USD||Details →|
- Total attendance National Football League regular season games 2008-2016Total attendance National Football League regular season games 2008-2016
National Football League total attendance at regular season games 2008 to 2016 (in millions)
- National Football League - average franchise value 2000-2016+National Football League - average franchise value 2000-2016
National Football League average franchise value from 2000 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Total revenue of the National Football League 2001-2015+Total revenue of the National Football League 2001-2015
Total revenue of all National Football League teams from 2001 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Average per game attendance of major US sports leagues 2016/17Average per game attendance of major US sports leagues 2016/17
- Operating income of Major League Baseball franchises 2016Operating income of Major League Baseball franchises 2016
- Net sales of the Reebok brand worldwide 2006-2016Net sales of the Reebok brand worldwide 2006-2016
- Most watched TV networks in the U.S. 2016Most watched TV networks in the U.S. 2016
- Nike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by regionNike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by region