Motor vehicle production - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about motor vehicle production
In 2016, more than 22.5 million commercial vehicles and approximately 72.11 million passenger cars were produced globally. According to a forecast by PwC, a total of around 107 million vehicles will be manufactured worldwide in 2020.
The biggest production plants can be found in China, the United States, Japan and Germany. China’s global market share in auto production was close to 30 percent in 2016.
In the U.S., the number of commercial vehicles produced has continuously increased since 2010. Approximately 7.9 million commercial vehicles were manufactured in 2015, while passenger car production totaled 4.2 million units in the same year.
In 2016, the Volkswagen Group topped the list as the world's largest automobile producer. In 2016, Asia-Oceania was the largest market for heavy truck production. Some 2.77 million units were built here in 2016.
Photo: istockphoto.com / henrik5000
|Global Motor Vehicle Production||Units||Statistic|
|2016 worldwide annual passenger car production||72.11m||Details →|
|2016 annual commercial vehicle production worldwide||22.53m||Details →|
|Annual passenger car production in China||21.08m||Details →|
|Annual passenger car production in Japan||7.83m||Details →|
|2019 projected automobile production in Germany||6.3mn||Details →|
|2016 car production in India||3.68mn||Details →|
|Number of two-wheelers sold in India||16.46m||Details →|
|Motor Vehicle Production in the United States||Values||Statistic|
|2016 U.S. motor vehicle production||12,198k||Details →|
|U.S. motor vehicle and parts manufacturing gross output||69.9bn USD||Details →|
|Number of full-time equivalent employees in U.S. motor vehicle and parts manufacturing||911k||Details →|
|Number of General Motors employees in 2016||225k||Details →|
|Number of Ford employees in 2016||201k||Details →|
- Worldwide car production through 2016Worldwide car production through 2016
Worldwide automobile production from 2000 to 2016 (in million vehicles)
- Changes in worldwide vehicle production by region 2011-2015+Changes in worldwide vehicle production by region 2011-2015
Estimated global vehicle production growth from 2011 to 2015, by region
- Global passenger vehicle production by country or region 2016+Global passenger vehicle production by country or region 2016
Global passenger vehicle production in 2016, by country or region
- Passenger car production in the United States 1999-2016Passenger car production in the United States 1999-2016
- YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017
- Passenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by modelPassenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by model
- Commercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by modelCommercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by model
- Motorcycle production in China by month March 2017Motorcycle production in China by month March 2017