Nokia Remains 2nd Largest Mobile Phone Vendor (For Now)
Worldwide mobile phone sales amounted to 456 million units in the third quarter of 2014, with smartphones now accounting for 2 in 3 mobile phones sold, according to Gartner. Feature phone sales declined 25 percent to 155 million units, as low-cost Android smartphones further narrowed the price gap between feature phones and their smarter siblings.
Interestingly, Nokia, the iconic mobile phone brand that Microsoft recently decided to phase out, is still the second largest mobile phone vendor in the world. However, given its weak position in the smartphone market, Nokia's sales dropped more than 30 percent compared to the previous year and as it stands, Apple will soon overtake the former market leader in terms of unit sales. In terms of revenue, Nokia has long been passed by other vendors, as the brand's last stronghold is in the low-price feature phone segment.
- Sales figures of generic mobile phones and smartphones in China until 2015Sales figures of generic mobile phones and smartphones in China until 2015
- U.S. shopping holidays: best deals for mobile phones 2016U.S. shopping holidays: best deals for mobile phones 2016
- Percentage of smartphones among mobile phones sales in France between 2012-2016Percentage of smartphones among mobile phones sales in France between 2012-2016
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month October 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month October 2016
- China: production of cell phones by month October 2016China: production of cell phones by month October 2016
- Telecom equipment companies worldwide ranked by revenue 2015Telecom equipment companies worldwide ranked by revenue 2015
- U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017
- Share of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendorShare of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendor
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl