The State of the Global Smartphone Market
Fueled by strong growth in emerging markets, global smartphone shipments reached a total of 337 million units in the second quarter of 2015. According to IDC, it was the second best quarter on record, trailing only the 2014 holiday quarter, when vendors had shipped 375 million units.
While Chinese manufacturers Huawei and Xiaomi continued to perform strongly both in their home market and abroad, market leader Samsung saw itself under intense pressure on both ends of the market. Strong iPhone sales hurt the Korean electronics giant in the high-end market while Chinese vendors continued to gain market share in the lower-cost segment. Samsung was the only vendor among the Top 5 to suffer a year-over-year decline in shipments and consequently saw its market share drop from 24.8 to 21.7 percent.
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by Sprint Q1 2010-Q4 2011Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by Sprint Q1 2010-Q4 2011
- Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016
- Share of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendorShare of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendor
- World lithium reserves by country 2016World lithium reserves by country 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl