The State of the Global Smartphone Market
Fueled by strong growth in emerging markets, global smartphone shipments reached a total of 337 million units in the second quarter of 2015. According to IDC, it was the second best quarter on record, trailing only the 2014 holiday quarter, when vendors had shipped 375 million units.
While Chinese manufacturers Huawei and Xiaomi continued to perform strongly both in their home market and abroad, market leader Samsung saw itself under intense pressure on both ends of the market. Strong iPhone sales hurt the Korean electronics giant in the high-end market while Chinese vendors continued to gain market share in the lower-cost segment. Samsung was the only vendor among the Top 5 to suffer a year-over-year decline in shipments and consequently saw its market share drop from 24.8 to 21.7 percent.
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by Verizon Q1 2010-Q4 2011Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by Verizon Q1 2010-Q4 2011
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by T-Mobile Q1 2010-Q4 2011Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by T-Mobile Q1 2010-Q4 2011
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies August 15 to 22, 2016Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies August 15 to 22, 2016
- China: mobile phone subscribers by month June 2016China: mobile phone subscribers by month June 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens