Smartphone Sales Break the Billion Barrier
The smartphone market is developing perfectly in 2013, according to a recent IDC forecast. The analysts expect global smartphone sales to break the billion barrier for the first time, which means an increase of 40 percent on the previous year.
For 2017, the forecast is 1.7 billion smartphones sold (+71 percent). The tablet market is also expected to develop very positively over the coming years. Here IDC is predicting a rise from 227 million units sold in 2013 to almost twice as many – 407 million units (+79 percent).
The personal computer is the big loser in the connected devices segment. The outlook is especially bleak for the traditional desktop PC. Even though laptop sales will moderately increase over the next 4 years (+9 percent), eight percent less desktop PCs will be sold.
- Share of desktop computer owners in Finland 2016, by age groupShare of desktop computer owners in Finland 2016, by age group
- Desktop computer: people living in households that own a desktop computer in the U.S. 2016Desktop computer: people living in households that own a desktop computer in the U.S. 2016
- Share of households with a desktop computer connected to the internet in BelgiumShare of households with a desktop computer connected to the internet in Belgium
- Quarterly global PC shipments 2014-2016, by vendorQuarterly global PC shipments 2014-2016, by vendor
- Global annual PC shipments 2013-2015, by vendorGlobal annual PC shipments 2013-2015, by vendor
- Global annual PC shipment share 2013-2015, by vendorGlobal annual PC shipment share 2013-2015, by vendor
- Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl