Digital payments in the United States
Mobile Payment Volume to Increase Tenfold by 2021
Over the past few years, smartphones have become our constant companions. We use them to stay in touch with our friends, to read the news, to watch TV and, thanks to services such as Apple Pay or Android Pay, we can even use them to pay for our groceries. That is in theory at least.
Adoption of mobile payment services has been slower than many had expected. According to estimates by Statista’s analysts, 35 million Americans used their smartphone to pay at a physical store last year, a number that is expected to rise sharply in the future though.
According to our Digital Market Outlook, the mobile payment transaction volume could rise from $25 billion in 2016 to nearly $275 billion by 2021 – that’s an average annual growth rate of 62 percent!
To find out more about digital payments on a global scale, please read the free market report that we created with our partners from TrendOne: “Fintech: Digital Payments”.
- Global mobile payments market share 2017, by regionGlobal mobile payments market share 2017, by region
- Mobile payments usage on smartphones in the UK 2013-2015, by transaction typeMobile payments usage on smartphones in the UK 2013-2015, by transaction type
- Leading features encouraging the use of mobile payments on smartphones in the UK 2015Leading features encouraging the use of mobile payments on smartphones in the UK 2015
- PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2016PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2016
- Mobile e-commerce growth in Scandinavia 2012-2016Mobile e-commerce growth in Scandinavia 2012-2016
- Global NFC mobile payment users 2012-2018 Global NFC mobile payment users 2012-2018
- U.S. online retail user engagement and expenditure 2017, by platformU.S. online retail user engagement and expenditure 2017, by platform
- PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2017PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl