Big Data on Wheels
Modern cars are equipped with more than 100 sensors that create a constant stream of data. Measuring things like location, performance, physical parameters and driving behavior, often several times per second, the amount of data generated by these sensors is immense. According to a McKinsey estimate, connected cars create up to 25 gigabytes of data per hour. That’s the equivalent of nearly 30 hours of HD video playback and more than a month’s worth of 24-hour music streaming.
According to the analysts in charge of our Digital Market Outlook, the data created by connected cars has a lot of potential in terms of monetization. Think insurance companies for example, who would likely be willing to pay good money to find out more about our driving habits. For more information about this exciting new market, please download our free market report “Connected Car: Vehicle Services”.
- Best-selling cars in the United States - 2016Best-selling cars in the United States - 2016
- Number of cars on the road in the United Kingdom (UK), 2000-2016Number of cars on the road in the United Kingdom (UK), 2000-2016
- France: stock of registered passenger cars 2004-2015France: stock of registered passenger cars 2004-2015
- World production of passenger cars 1998-2015World production of passenger cars 1998-2015
- Ranking of new passenger cars registered in the UK 2013-2016, by segmentRanking of new passenger cars registered in the UK 2013-2016, by segment
- Luxury cars: market size 2016Luxury cars: market size 2016
- Daimler - vehicle sales in the United States by segment 2017Daimler - vehicle sales in the United States by segment 2017
- Biometric hardware - global market by segment 2010-2021Biometric hardware - global market by segment 2010-2021
- Volume of the smart car device market in China 2018Volume of the smart car device market in China 2018
- Biometric sensors - global market size 2014-2023Biometric sensors - global market size 2014-2023
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl