Big Data on Wheels
Modern cars are equipped with more than 100 sensors that create a constant stream of data. Measuring things like location, performance, physical parameters and driving behavior, often several times per second, the amount of data generated by these sensors is immense. According to a McKinsey estimate, connected cars create up to 25 gigabytes of data per hour. That’s the equivalent of nearly 30 hours of HD video playback and more than a month’s worth of 24-hour music streaming.
According to the analysts in charge of our Digital Market Outlook, the data created by connected cars has a lot of potential in terms of monetization. Think insurance companies for example, who would likely be willing to pay good money to find out more about our driving habits. For more information about this exciting new market, please download our free market report “Connected Car: Vehicle Services”.
- Best-selling cars in the United States - 2016Best-selling cars in the United States - 2016
- Number of cars on the road in the United Kingdom (UK), 2000-2016Number of cars on the road in the United Kingdom (UK), 2000-2016
- World production of passenger cars 1998-2015World production of passenger cars 1998-2015
- Monthly Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers in the U.S. January 2017Monthly Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers in the U.S. January 2017
- Change of gasoline price in selected countries 2016-2076Change of gasoline price in selected countries 2016-2076
- Change of diesel price in selected countries 2016-2017Change of diesel price in selected countries 2016-2017
- Ranking of top car manufacturers worldwide - global sales 2016Ranking of top car manufacturers worldwide - global sales 2016
- U.S. retail prices of diesel fuel monthly 2016-2017U.S. retail prices of diesel fuel monthly 2016-2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl