Trump's Florida Trips Don't Come Cheap For Taxpayers
Donald Trump's regular jaunts to his club in Mar-a-Lago, Florida, appear to be costing taxpayers a small fortune. According to Washington Post estimates based on an an October 2016 Government Accountability Office analysis of White House travel, the president's three trips have probably cost the federal Treasury about $10 million.
By comparison, Barack Obama's travel expenses only averaged $12.1 million during each of his eight years in the White House. In total, the travel bill during Obama's presidency came to $97 million and incredibly, Donald Trump is on course to outspend him in less than one year. The Washington Post reported that "the elaborate lifestyle of America’s first family is straining the Secret Service and security officials, stirring financial and logistical concerns in several local communities, and costing far beyond what has been typical for previous presidents."
Before Trump became president, he frequently lambasted Obama's travel expenses on Fox News and Twitter.
Why is @BarackObama always campaigning or on vacation?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 17, 2011
When Trump sat down for his first formal interview after his election victory (on CBS's 60 Minutes), the president-elect said, "I don't think we'll be very big on vacations, no." However, after a chaotic and stressful start to life in the White House, he might have changed his mind.
- Donald Trump in one word 2015Donald Trump in one word 2015
- Confidence level among the American people in Donald Trump's political abiltiesConfidence level among the American people in Donald Trump's political abilties
- Perception of Donald Trump as presidential candidate 2015Perception of Donald Trump as presidential candidate 2015
- Healthcare importance in U.S. 2017 by genderHealthcare importance in U.S. 2017 by gender
- Italy: most striking news of the week 25 March-3 April, 2017Italy: most striking news of the week 25 March-3 April, 2017
- Tax and health benefits changes under Trumpcare (AHCA) per household by income 2022Tax and health benefits changes under Trumpcare (AHCA) per household by income 2022
- Tax and health benefits changes under Trumpcare (AHCA) as household income share 2022Tax and health benefits changes under Trumpcare (AHCA) as household income share 2022
- Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl