Mobile Commerce Is Gaining Relevance
As tablet and smartphone adoption continues to grow, mobile commerce is becoming increasingly relevant to online retailers.
The percentage of e-commerce sales via mobile devices grew from 2 percent in the second quarter of 2010 to 11 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012. This increase was mainly caused by the rise of tablets in general and Apple's iPad in particular. While smartphones are often used to research prices while shopping in brick-and-mortar stores ("showrooming"), people have long been hesitant to make purchases on the relatively small screen. Tablets have erased that problem, offering enough screen real-estate to comfortably go through the entire purchasing process. The conversion rate on tablets is three time as high as it is on smartphones.
The rise of smartphones with 4.7-inch+ screens, often called "phablets", will likely further increase the mobile share of total e-commerce sales, as they combine the ubiquity of a phone with the screen-size, hence the comfort of a tablet.
Online retailers can no longer afford to ignore their mobile audiences and should recognize the growing importance of an attractive mobile presence.
- Share of U.S. mobile e-commerce spending 2010-2016Share of U.S. mobile e-commerce spending 2010-2016
- Annual mobile e-commerce spending in Europe from 2010 to 2014Annual mobile e-commerce spending in Europe from 2010 to 2014
- Quarterly U.S. mobile e-commerce spending 2010-2015Quarterly U.S. mobile e-commerce spending 2010-2015
- Digital Market Outlook: e-commerce revenue in the UK 2015-2021Digital Market Outlook: e-commerce revenue in the UK 2015-2021
- Digital Market Outlook: e-commerce revenue in France 2015-2021Digital Market Outlook: e-commerce revenue in France 2015-2021
- Digital Market Outlook: e-commerce users in France 2015-2021Digital Market Outlook: e-commerce users in France 2015-2021
- Value of consumers' e-commerce in the Nordics 2016Value of consumers' e-commerce in the Nordics 2016
- Share of mobile shoppers in the Nordics 2016Share of mobile shoppers in the Nordics 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl