The Rise of Young Asylum Seekers in Europe
As highlighted in today's UNICEF report 'A Child is a Child', the number of young children applying for asylum in Europe has continued to rise, reaching a new peak last year. According to figures from Eurostat, there were almost 290,000 first time applicants in 2016 that were under the age of 14.
Of all child asylum seekers in Europe, 170,000 were not accompanied by an adult in 2015-2016. In fact, 92 percent of all minors arriving in Italy by sea in 2016 and the first months of 2017 were unaccompanied. Globally, children account for around 28 percent of all trafficking victims.
- Asylum applications in the European Union (EU) in 2016, by countryAsylum applications in the European Union (EU) in 2016, by country
- Italy: immigrants in reception centers 2013-2017Italy: immigrants in reception centers 2013-2017
- Italy: migrant arrivals monthly 2015-2017Italy: migrant arrivals monthly 2015-2017
- Number of asylum applications in Finland 2005-2016Number of asylum applications in Finland 2005-2016
- Number of positive asylum decisions in Finland 2011-2016Number of positive asylum decisions in Finland 2011-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl