Sugar Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the sugar industry
The sugar industry is responsible for the supply of sugar, which is considered as an integral part of the human diet and found, depending on the region, in many staple foods. It is processed in almost every food category.
Currently, the global production of sugar exceeds 170 million metric tons annually. Brazil dominated the global market in terms of production and exports in 2015/2016. The United States was also ranked among the top producers, generating some 7.7 million metric tons in 2015/2016.
Sugar is almost completely extracted from two crops – sugar cane and sugar beet. Some 1.9 billion metric tons of sugar cane were produced worldwide in 2014, of which more than 737 million metric tons came from Brazil alone. India, China, Thailand, and Pakistan rounded off the five leading sugar cane producing countries. In comparison, approximately 267 million metric tons of sugar beets were produced worldwide in 2014, with France and Russia producing the largest amount.
In context of international trade, Brazil topped the list of sugar exporting countries in 2014/2015 with an export amount greater than 24 million metric tons. On the import side, China, Indonesia and the United States were ranked as the leading sugar importing countries.
In addition to its culinary uses, sugar cane is also utilized for the production of biofuels such as ethanol.
Photo: sxc.hu / humusak2
|Sugar Industry Overview||Values||Statistic|
|Total annual sugar production worldwide||170.9m t||Details →|
|Total annual sugar consumption worldwide||173.6m t||Details →|
|Total sugar stocks worldwide||30.8m t||Details →|
|Forecasted sugar price for 2024||¢22/lb||Details →|
|Sugar production in Brazil||37.8m t||Details →|
|Sugar Industry in the United States||Values||Statistic|
|Sugar production in the U.S.||8.2m t||Details →|
|Sugar consumption in the U.S.||10.9m t||Details →|
|Average retail price per pound of granulated sugar in the U.S.||¢69.41||Details →|
|Total area of sugar cane harvested in the U.S.||892k ac||Details →|
|Sugar beet production value in the U.S.||$1,437,575k||Details →|
|Sugar exported by Brazil||24.4m t||Details →|
|Sugar imported by the EU||6m t||Details →|
|Sugar imported to the U.S.||2.4m t||Details →|
- World sugar production 2009/10-2016/17+World sugar production 2009/10-2016/17
Sugar production worldwide from 2009/2010 to 2016/17 (in million metric tons)*
- Expected development of the price of sugar worldwide 2014-2024+Expected development of the price of sugar worldwide 2014-2024
Expected development of the global sugar price from 2014 to 2024 (in U.S. cents per pound)
- Sugar: exports of major countries 2015/2016+Sugar: exports of major countries 2015/2016
Principal sugar exporting countries in 2015/2016 (in million metric tons)*
- U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2016U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2016
- Per capita consumption of sugar in Germany 1950/51-2014/15Per capita consumption of sugar in Germany 1950/51-2014/15
- Grain production worldwide 2014, by typeGrain production worldwide 2014, by type
- Global revenue of anti-diabetic products 2008-2015Global revenue of anti-diabetic products 2008-2015
- Deaths by diabetes mellitus in the U.S. 1950-2014Deaths by diabetes mellitus in the U.S. 1950-2014