Home & household appliances in Europe - Statistics & Facts

Europe is a major market for the household appliances industry, generating sales revenues of more than 80 billion U.S. dollars every year. Major appliances, including washing machines, , refrigerators, , and dishwashers, accounted for roughly 60 percent of the market. Sales of small appliances such as coffee machines, toasters, juicers, blenders, and mixers make up the remaining 40 percent of the European home appliance market.

Major European home appliance companies

The employment of more than 200 thousand people in Europe is directly tied to Europe's home appliances industry, as the continent is home to some of the world's largest home appliance companies. The list of European household appliances companies includes the Germany-based BSH Group and Miele, the SEB Group in France, the Swedish manufacturer Electrolux, and Arcelik from Turkey. In 2019, more than 140 household appliances manufacturing sites were located in Europe, with Germany, Italy, France, Turkey, and Poland each hosting more than ten such sites.

Appliances consumption in Europe

Refrigerators are the most owned household appliance in Europe, with more than 90 percent of households in the most populous countries in Europe owning a refrigerator. A similar share of households owns a washing machine in each country. Dishwashers are less common, with none of Europe's most populous countries exceeding an ownership rate of 72 percent in 2020.
Some significant differences amongst European countries can be found in small appliances' ownership rates . For example, coffee machines are much less part of households in the United Kingdom than in continental European countries, as traditionally, tea is more popular than coffee in the U.K.

COVID-19 impact on appliances sales

The European household appliances' total market size is forecast to decrease by around seven percent in 2020 compared to the previous year due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. For 2021 the market is expected to recover and grow by almost six percent.
One example to illustrate the declining sales in 2020 is the core appliances segment in Western Europe, where washing machines, refrigerators, and dishwashers were responsible for most of the segment's unit sales. Sales of core appliances, which had been mostly stable in the past, experienced an 11 percent year-over-year decline in the first half of 2020 due to a strong constraint in consumer spending caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Interesting statistics

In the following 5 chapters, you will quickly find the {amountStatistics} most important statistics relating to "Household appliances in Europe".

Household appliances in Europe

Dossier on the topic

All important statistics are prepared by our experts – available for direct download as PPT & PDF!
TOP SELLER

Important key figures

The most important key figures provide you with a compact summary of the topic of "Household appliances in Europe" and take you straight to the corresponding statistics.

Imports & Exports

Country highlights

Contact

Get in touch with us. We are happy to help.
Statista Locations
ContactHadley Ward
Hadley Ward
Sales Manager– Contact (United States)

Mon - Fri, 9am - 6pm (EST)

ContactZiyan Zhang
Ziyan Zhang
Customer Relations– Contact (Asia)

Mon - Fri, 11:30am - 10pm (IST)

ContactKisara Mizuno
Kisara Mizuno
Customer Success Manager– Contact (Asia)

Mon - Fri, 9:30am - 5:30pm (JST)

ContactLodovica Biagi
Lodovica Biagi
Director of Operations– Contact (Europe)

Mon - Fri, 9:30am - 5pm (GMT)

ContactCatalina Rodriguez
Catalina Rodriguez
Key Account Manager - LAC– Contact (Latin America)

Mon - Fri, 9am - 6pm (EST)