Has the PC Industry Bottomed Out?
According to data released by Gartner this week, global PC shipments declined by 1.7% in the first quarter of 2014. While a few years ago, this number would have been considered catastropic, now it's actually good news. As a matter of fact, it's the smallest decline the PC industry has suffered since early 2012.
According to Gartner, the end of Windows XP support in early April has boosted replacement buys and could continue to do so in the current quarter. While it's unlikely that PC sales will suddenly start growing again, the trend of the past few quarters suggests that the industry may finally have bottomed out and sales might stabilize around the current level.
- Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016
- Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010 Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010
- Global PC sales via local dealers in 2010, by vendorGlobal PC sales via local dealers in 2010, by vendor
- Global market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2015, by monthGlobal market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2015, by month
- Global IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segmentGlobal IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segment
- Number of global social network users 2010-2020Number of global social network users 2010-2020
- Weekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by ageWeekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by age
- PCs (desktop/portable) global shipment forecast 2009-2020PCs (desktop/portable) global shipment forecast 2009-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens