Nearly 1 in 4 Super Bowl Fans Watch for the Commercials
On Sunday, February 7, the Denver Broncos take on the Carolina Panthers at the Levi’s stadium in Santa Clara, California. 50 years into its history, the Super Bowl is not just about watching a sporting contest or getting together with family and friends, to eat and drink. It’s also about the commercials!
So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that while 45% of those gathering to watch the Super Bowl still name the game itself as their top priority, close to one in four Americans watch the spectacle for the commercials in between the passes and touchdowns.
From an advertising point of view the Super Bowl is truly super: Ad pricing has increased by 76% over the past decade. In 2015 this added up to $4.4 million dollar per 30 seconds ad time, which is predicted to increase to 5 million during this year's broadcast. While this is certainly a lot of money for a little bit of air time, it still presents a huge opportunity for advertisers: When else do brands get the chance to show off their products to an audience of 100+ million viewers at once, of which many are actually exited to see the ads?
- Super Bowl automobile manufacturer advertising 2003-2016Super Bowl automobile manufacturer advertising 2003-2016
- Super Bowl advertising spending 2003-2017Super Bowl advertising spending 2003-2017
- Leading verticals advertising during the Super Bowl in Canada 2017Leading verticals advertising during the Super Bowl in Canada 2017
- Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies Feb 24 to Mar 2, 2017Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies Feb 24 to Mar 2, 2017
- Number of IKEA catalogs printed per year worldwide 1951-2016Number of IKEA catalogs printed per year worldwide 1951-2016
- Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2016Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2016
- Public cloud services: market forecast 2009-2020Public cloud services: market forecast 2009-2020
- Revenue of AbbVie's Humira 2011-2016Revenue of AbbVie's Humira 2011-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl