Young Voted Clinton, Old Voted Trump
When the UK voted for Brexit, British pensioners were three times more likely than younger voters to want to cut ties with the European Union. The majority of young Remain voters still blame older people with secure jobs and pensions for depriving them of the freedom to live and work in Europe.
This year, Donald Trump also profited from the older generation. He appeals to an older cohort who are proud and nostalgic about their nation's history as well as being less dependent on jobs and education. As disheartened as young Americans might feel today, it may well be that their lack of enthusiasm to go out and vote cost Hillary Clinton the presidency. Even though Millennials backed Clinton at the polls, their turnout rates have been historically dismal. In 2012, only 46 percent of eligible Millennials went out and voted and this year, the number could be similarly low.
- 2015 United Kingdom (UK) general election results, by party2015 United Kingdom (UK) general election results, by party
- 2015 United Kingdom (UK) general election results: share of votes2015 United Kingdom (UK) general election results: share of votes
- Senate election results in the Spanish general election 2011, by partySenate election results in the Spanish general election 2011, by party
- Italy: most striking news of the week 7-13 February 2017Italy: most striking news of the week 7-13 February 2017
- Healthcare importance in U.S. 2017 by genderHealthcare importance in U.S. 2017 by gender
- Healthcare importance in U.S. 2017, by party IDHealthcare importance in U.S. 2017, by party ID
- Obama farewell speech - number of viewers in the U.S. 2017, by channelObama farewell speech - number of viewers in the U.S. 2017, by channel
- Confidence level among the American people in Donald Trump's political abiltiesConfidence level among the American people in Donald Trump's political abilties
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl