Amazon opens new fulfillment centers across the U.S.
How Amazon's Logistics Network Sprawls Across the U.S.
As Amazon has grown from an online books dealer to a global e-commerce behemoth offering everything from dog food to dishwashers, the logistics behind its operations have become a real challenge. To handle the ever-growing volume of shipments and add new services such as Prime Now and Amazon Fresh, the company is constantly expanding its logistics network both in the U.S. and internationally.
In 2016 alone, Amazon opened 26 new fulfillment centers in the United States and shows no signs of slowing down in early 2017. In January, the company announced plans to open new facilities in Maryland, Texas, Florida and Colorado, with more certainly to come. By summer 2018, Amazon plans to create 100,000 additional jobs in the United States, most of them in logistics.
The chart below, based on data compiled by logistics consulting firm MWPVL, illustrates Amazon’s footprint across the country. With more than 20 fulfillment centers each, the company’s presence is particularly strong in California and Texas, with Illinois, Pennsylvania, Florida, Kentucky and its home-state Washington also hosting more than 10 of Amazon’s logistics facilities.
- U.S. logistics companies - based on net revenue 2016U.S. logistics companies - based on net revenue 2016
- Logistics companies worldwide - logistics revenue 2014Logistics companies worldwide - logistics revenue 2014
- International pharmaceutical logistics distribution 2013-2016International pharmaceutical logistics distribution 2013-2016
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Revenue of top land drilling energy services and equipment companies from 2015 to2017Revenue of top land drilling energy services and equipment companies from 2015 to2017
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015
- Value of the leading retail brands worldwide 2017Value of the leading retail brands worldwide 2017
- The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl