Netflix's International Expansion Is Starting to Pay Off
Netflix’s aggressive expansion into international markets appears to be paying off. Having launched its service in over 130 countries in January 2016, the company reported the first contribution profit for its international streaming segment in the first quarter of 2017.
According to the most recent letter to shareholders, profit growth in more mature international territories outpaced investments in newer markets in the first three months of the year. However, Netflix plans to continue investing in international growth and expects to return to a small deficit in the ongoing quarter.
Perhaps the biggest challenge in operating at a global scale is managing content licenses for so many different markets. With this in mind, Netflix’s original content will play a huge role in determining the company’s future success and profitability. While licensing deals have to be negotiated individually for each market, Netflix can roll out its own content to a global audience without facing substantial additional costs.
- Reach of Spotify and Netflix in the Netherlands 2014-2016Reach of Spotify and Netflix in the Netherlands 2014-2016
- Number of Netflix streaming subscribers worldwide 2011-2016Number of Netflix streaming subscribers worldwide 2011-2016
- Netflix's annual revenue 2002-2016Netflix's annual revenue 2002-2016
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Leading kids brands in the U.S. 2016Leading kids brands in the U.S. 2016
- Media usage in an online minute 2016Media usage in an online minute 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl