In the fiscal year 2018, 70.7 percent of Google’s revenue came from advertising through Google properties and 14.7 percent through advertising via Google Network Members’ properties.
Google properties revenue
As the most-visited web property, it is unsurprising that the majority of Google’s company revenue is generated through advertising on its own sites. As the dominating search engine in many countries, Google benefits from a vast audience reach. Google properties revenues include revenue from its search platform Google.com, as well as revenue from traffic generated by search distribution partners who use Google.com as their default search in toolbars and browsers. YouTube revenues are also included in this segment and in 2018, worldwide net advertising revenues of YouTube were estimated to be 9.13 billion U.S. dollars. According to Google, YouTube is one of the company’s biggest advertising revenue growth drivers, along with mobile search.
Google properties revenues consists primarily of:
• AdWords revenue that is generated on Google.com. This includes revenue from traffic generated by search distribution partners who use Google.com as their default search in browsers, toolbars, etc
• Advertising revenue generated on YouTube, including, but not limited to YouTube TrueView and Google Preferred; and
• Advertising revenue generated from other Google-owned and operated properties like Gmail, Finance, Maps, and Google Play.
Google Network Members' properties revenues revenues consist primarily of:
• AdSense (such as AdSense for Search, AdSense for Content, etc.)
• All DoubleClick-related revenues including DoubleClick Bid Manager revenues; and
• Other Network products including AdSense for Domains
Google other revenues consist primarily of:
• Sales of apps and media content in the Google Play Store
• Sales of certain Google branded hardware such as Chromecast
• Service fees received for cloud and apps and Maps API; and
• Licensing-related revenue
Alphabet Inc. is an American multinational conglomerate created in 2015 as the parent company of Google and several other companies previously owned by or tied to Google. Values regarding 2013 and 2014 have been adjusted to reflect the Alphabet company.
Access All Statistics. Starting from $708 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.
Alphabet. (February 6, 2019). Distribution of Google's revenues from 2001 to 2018, by source [Graph]. In Statista. Retrieved July 13, 2020, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/266471/distribution-of-googles-revenues-by-source/
Alphabet. "Distribution of Google's revenues from 2001 to 2018, by source." Chart. February 6, 2019. Statista. Accessed July 13, 2020. https://www.statista.com/statistics/266471/distribution-of-googles-revenues-by-source/
Alphabet. (2019). Distribution of Google's revenues from 2001 to 2018, by source. Statista. Statista Inc.. Accessed: July 13, 2020. https://www.statista.com/statistics/266471/distribution-of-googles-revenues-by-source/
Alphabet. "Distribution of Google's Revenues from 2001 to 2018, by Source." Statista, Statista Inc., 6 Feb 2019, https://www.statista.com/statistics/266471/distribution-of-googles-revenues-by-source/
Alphabet, Distribution of Google's revenues from 2001 to 2018, by source Statista, https://www.statista.com/statistics/266471/distribution-of-googles-revenues-by-source/ (last visited July 13, 2020)