AT&T - Statistics & Facts
Facts and statistics about AT&T
AT&T Inc. is a multinational telecommunications company headquartered in Dallas, Texas. Alongside Verizon Communications, it is one of the largest telecommunications operators in the United States. In 2016, the company generated 163.8 billion U.S. dollars in revenue. In 2016, the company employed approximately 269 thousand people and had over 134 million connections across its wireless service.
Starting life as Southwestern Bell Corporation, following the breakup of the AT&T Corporation monopoly in 1983, the company later renamed itself to SBC Communications Inc. In 2005, SBC purchased its former parent, AT&T Corp., taking on both its name and branding.
Within the U.S. wireless segment, AT&T and Verizon continue to fight for top spot, both sitting comfortably above Sprint Corporation and T-Mobile US in terms of revenue. AT&T has a subscriber base of approximately 77.8 million postpaid and 13.5 million prepaid customers as of 2016, and AT&T's monthly churn rate remains one of the lowest in the industry, sitting at just 1.71 percent in the fourth quarter of 2016. In terms of monthly average revenue per user (ARPU), AT&T generates approximately 51 U.S. dollars per user per month.
In the wireline market, AT&T and Verizon again lead the market, while CenturyLink retains the third-largest market share. In the U.S. pay-TV market, AT&T has become the market leader via the acquisition of DirecTV, putting it ahead of Comcast, Dish, and Verizon. In October 2016, AT&T has agreed to acquire Time Warner in one of the largest acquisitions of the industry. Some of the brands under the Times Warner umbrella include HBO, CNN and Warner Bros.
In 2016, the brand value of AT&T was estimated to be around 107 billion U.S. dollars, making it one of the most valuable telecommunications brands in the world. This was supported by 3.87 billion U.S. dollars in advertising spending in 2015 within the United States alone.
|US telecommunications market||Values||Statistic|
|Telecom services revenue in North America||285bn euros||Details →|
|Mobile service industry revenue in the United States||192bn USD||Details →|
|Monthly wireless ARPU in the United States||44.65 USD||Details →|
|Number of wireless subscribers in the United States||378m||Details →|
|Number of smartphone users||264m||Details →|
|Market share & financials||Values||Statistic|
|Brand value of AT&T||107.4bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. wireless subscriptions' share of AT&T||32%||Details →|
|AT&T's revenue worldwide||163.79bn USD||Details →|
|Consumer mobility segment revenue 4Q'16||8.4bn USD||Details →|
|AT&T's net income worldwide||13.35bn USD||Details →|
|Subscribers, churn rate & ARPU||Values||Statistic|
|Number of AT&T wireless subscribers||146.8m||Details →|
|AT&T broadband connections in the United States||15.6m||Details →|
|AT&T wireless churn rate||2.15%||Details →|
|Wireless postpaid churn rate of AT&T||1.19%||Details →|
|Postpaid wireless ARPU of AT&T||53.59 USD||Details →|
- AT&T wireless customers: postpaid churn rate 2007-2016AT&T wireless customers: postpaid churn rate 2007-2016
AT&T's wireless postpaid customer churn rate from 2007 to 2016
- People living in households with AT&T as long distance carrier in the U.S. 2014+People living in households with AT&T as long distance carrier in the U.S. 2014
Number of people living in households that use AT&T as long distance carrier in the United States from spring 2008 to autumn 2014 (in millions)
- Revenue of AT&T worldwide 2006-2016Revenue of AT&T worldwide 2006-2016
AT&T's operating revenue worldwide from 2006 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- AT&T's net income 2006-2016+AT&T's net income 2006-2016
AT&T's net income from 2006 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- U.S. mobile network service operators/providers revenue 2008-2016U.S. mobile network service operators/providers revenue 2008-2016
- Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies March 13-19, 2017Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies March 13-19, 2017
- Leading financial advisors to global M&A 2016, by deal valueLeading financial advisors to global M&A 2016, by deal value
- Forecast spending global telecom services 2014-2020Forecast spending global telecom services 2014-2020
- The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017