Wellness and spa industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the wellness and spa industry
Wellness is about making healthy lifestyle choices and maintaining one’s well-being both physically and mentally. In recent years, more people around the world have begun to recognize the importance of wellness – a trend which has seen the value of the industry increase year-on-year. In 2013, the market size of the global wellness industry amounted to more than 3.4 trillion U.S. dollars. The beauty and anti-aging segment was by far the largest, constituting around a third. The various segments making up the wellness industry are diverse and include, among others, healthy eating and weight loss, fitness, alternative medicine and the spa industry.
The spa industry in the United States generated 16.3 billion U.S. dollars in revenue from more than 21 thousand locations in 2015. Reasons for seeking spa treatments ranged from medical reasons and pain relief to relaxation and stress relief, or even just to indulge and pamper. During a national survey by market research company Nielsen Scarborough in spring 2016, 13.71 million people said that they had used day spa services within the past 12 months.
Another segment of the wellness industry is corporate wellness services, which generate 7.3 billion U.S. dollars in revenue in 2015, this was forecasted to reach 11.3 billion U.S. dollars by 2021. The industry is comprised of companies which provide workplace programs to improve or support the health and wellbeing of their employees. The majority of these programs are company funded, although some are carrier funded or paid for by employee contributions. In 2016, the most common services in the United States were health risk assessments, nutrition and weight management and smoking cessation services.
Photo: sxc.hu / topfer, 4fun
|Overview & Associated Industries||Values||Statistic|
|Estimated global market size of the beauty and anti-aging industry||$1.025tr||Details →|
|U.S. health club industry revenue||$25.8bn||Details →|
|Revenue of the U.S. yoga and pilates industry||$6.85bn||Details →|
|U.S. Spa Industry||Values||Statistic|
|Revenue of the U.S. spa industry||$16.3bn||Details →|
|Number of spa visits in the U.S. spa industry||179m||Details →|
|Average rate for a spa treatment at luxury hotel spas in the U.S.||$137||Details →|
- U.S. spa industry: number of spa locations 2003-2015+U.S. spa industry: number of spa locations 2003-2015
Number of locations of the U.S. spa* industry from 2003 to 2015
- People who used services at any day spa (last 12 months) in the U.S. 2016+People who used services at any day spa (last 12 months) in the U.S. 2016
Number of people who used services at any day spa within the last 12 months in the United States from spring 2008 to spring 2016 (in millions)
- Expenditure of affluent U.S. households on day spas and massage therapists 2016+Expenditure of affluent U.S. households on day spas and massage therapists 2016
Expenditure of affluent households in the United States on visits to day spas and massage therapists during the past 12 months in 2016
- Reasons for companies not offering a wellness program in the U.S. 2015+Reasons for companies not offering a wellness program in the U.S. 2015
What is the main reason for your organization not currently offering a wellness (health management) program?
- Organizations' satisfaction with their wellness programs in the U.S. 2015+Organizations' satisfaction with their wellness programs in the U.S. 2015
Satisfaction of organizations with the impact of their wellness (health management) program in the United States in 2015, by impact objective
- U.S. spa industry revenue 2015U.S. spa industry revenue 2015
- U.S. spa industry: number of spa visits 2015U.S. spa industry: number of spa visits 2015
- Top dermatologic procedures in the U.S. 2015Top dermatologic procedures in the U.S. 2015
- Global sales of the Nestlé Group 2005-2016Global sales of the Nestlé Group 2005-2016
- Nestlé's leading markets worldwide 2016, based on salesNestlé's leading markets worldwide 2016, based on sales