Fintech - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Fintech
Fintech is a term used to describe the companies operating in the financial technology sector. It relates mainly to small start-up companies which develop innovative technological solutions in such areas as online and mobile payments, big data, alternative finance and financial management. As of February 2015, bank spending on new technologies in North America was projected to reach 17 billion U.S. dollars in 2015 and increase to 19.9 billion in 2017.
On a global scale, the value of investment in financial technology ventures amounted to approximately three billion U.S. dollars in 2013 and was projected to grow to around eight billion U.S. dollars in 2018. In 2013, 29 percent of Fintech investments were in the banking and corporate finance area. The share of financial technology investments in payments decreased from 70 percent in 2008 to 28 percent in 2013.
The value of worldwide investment in Fintech companies focusing on P2P lending, online lending and scoring amounted to approximately 1.82 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. In the case of global companies specializing in Bitcoin payments, 2014 investments were less substantial, reaching approximately 318.76 million U.S. dollars. Xapo and Bitfury proved to be the leading Bitcoin companies in 2014 in terms of investment value. Around 40 million U.S. dollars was invested in each one of them separately. In general terms however, Adyen was the Fintech company which attracted the largest value of investors’ money in 2014. This company, specializing in online payments, received approximately 250 million U.S. dollars of investment. As far as revenues were concerned, FIS (Fidelity National Information Services), operating in the area of banking and payment technologies, was the leading Fintech company in 2013 with revenues of 5.46 billion U.S. dollars.
The United States was the leading Fintech country in 2014. The value of investment in U.S. financial technology companies reached approximately 3.97 billion U.S. dollars. Silicon Valley, New York and London were the leading world Fintech locations that year.
Picture: Wikimedia/cc, TechGizmo; freeimages.com / LotusHead
- Fintech investment areas worldwide 2008-2013+Fintech investment areas worldwide 2008-2013
Distribution of Financial Technology investment areas worldwide from 2008 to 2013
- Reaction of banks to Fintech companies 2015+Reaction of banks to Fintech companies 2015
Reaction of banks to development of Fintech companies worldwide as of February 2015
- Largest Fintech companies worldwide 2015, by revenue from financial servicesLargest Fintech companies worldwide 2015, by revenue from financial services
Leading global Fintech companies in 2015, by revenue from financial services (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Average value of investment in Fintech worldwide 2011-2014, by round+Average value of investment in Fintech worldwide 2011-2014, by round
Average value of investment in Fintech worldwide from 2011 to 2014, by round (in million U.S. dollars)
- Threat to retail banks from new financial companies in Europe 2014, by product+Threat to retail banks from new financial companies in Europe 2014, by product
Likelihood of new financial market participants posing threat to existing retail banks in Europe in 2014, by product
- Leading Fintech deals globally 2014, by value of investment+Leading Fintech deals globally 2014, by value of investment
Largest Fintech deals worldwide in 2014, by value of investment (in million U.S. dollars)
- Leading Fintech deals globally 2014+Leading Fintech deals globally 2014
Largest investments in Fintech companies worldwide in 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Fintech and big-data jobs 2014, by locationFintech and big-data jobs 2014, by location
Number of Fintech and big-data employees in the United States and United Kingdom in 2014, by location (in thousands)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Leading banks in the U.S. 2015, by number of employeesLeading banks in the U.S. 2015, by number of employees
- Largest banks worldwide 2016, by assetsLargest banks worldwide 2016, by assets
- Digital Market Outlook: global comparison FinTech transaction value 2016Digital Market Outlook: global comparison FinTech transaction value 2016
- Digital Market Outlook: global comparison digital payments transaction value 2016Digital Market Outlook: global comparison digital payments transaction value 2016
- Largest European banks in 2015, by assetsLargest European banks in 2015, by assets