Showrooming in the Retail Environment
Showrooming describes the act of examining goods in a brick and mortar store but making the actual purchase online.
In the age of smartphones, tablets and ubiquitous price information, showrooming has become a real issue for traditional retailers.
The above infographic, created in cooperation with the American Association of Advertising Agencies, illustrates how and why consumers engage in showrooming. Understanding the motives behind showrooming is crucial for retailers who want to convert showroomers into buyers.
- China: online shopping market gross merchandise volume 2008-2018China: online shopping market gross merchandise volume 2008-2018
- Average U.S. online shopping order value as of 1st quarter 2016Average U.S. online shopping order value as of 1st quarter 2016
- Online shopping frequency in the Netherlands 2015Online shopping frequency in the Netherlands 2015
- United States: retail e-commerce sales 2013-2020United States: retail e-commerce sales 2013-2020
- Global number of internet users 2005-2016Global number of internet users 2005-2016
- Online consumer expenditure in the Netherlands 2005-2015Online consumer expenditure in the Netherlands 2005-2015
- Online retail revenue in Europe 2015, by countryOnline retail revenue in Europe 2015, by country
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2014Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens